CFI Skeptics of Eugene Message Board › Atheism-related links

Atheism-related links

Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 10
Okay, this thread seems to be the catch-all.

A few months ago Steven Hawkings angered a bunch of religious people when his new book said that the universe in which we live does not require a god to exist. The general response to him seemed to be some variation on "Well ... what does he know?"

So, I was happy to see him being even more tactful in the news today:

"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark."

http://www.guardian.c...­
A former member
Post #: 7
Not an exact fit, but in the vein.

http://livinglifewith...­
A former member
Post #: 8
A former member
Post #: 9
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 149
The Imaginary Friends Show/

The 60th episode of the ImaginaryFriendsShow.com Podcast

This episode Gregg and Jake talk world (Catholic youth day), the pope, intelligent design/creationism, the evolution of boobs, we introduce Guru Habungadung, welcome back Psychic Bob, Gregg plugs his instagram, and also, Jake sounds obscenely sexy with a cold. http://www.facebook.c...­
The Imaginary Friends Show » Episode 60 – Jake eats a hag fish!imaginaryfriendsshow.com
Comedic Atheistic Cannabalistic Podcast: Where nothing is sacred!

Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 152

22 admitted atheists in Congress (21 are unnamed).

“At the time, twenty-two of them told me they didn’t believe in a god,” SCA Advisory Board Chairman Woody Kaplan told the Humanist in 2008. “Twenty-one of them said, ‘You can’t tell anybody.’ One of them said you could: Congressman Pete Stark.”

Upon receiving the American Humanist Association’s 2008 Humanist of the Year Award, the California Democrat explained that his notoriety as a non-believer wasn’t planned.

“My most recent accident was becoming a well-known humanist,” Stark told the association. “Somewhere along the line a nice group of people, the Secular Coalition for America, sent a form requesting information from those of us who support separation of church and state. In response to a question about belief you could check one of three boxes. I checked the one that said I didn’t believe in a supreme being.”

“I think that most of my colleagues, and politicians in general, just pay lip service to one god or another… The answer is that it has never been about God for politicians. It has been about power. It has never been about peace on Earth. It has been about profit in your pocket.”

He added: “I would confine God to currency, constitutional control, and colloquialisms like ‘Godspeed’ and ‘gadzooks.’ Then we can begin to deal with the real problems in the world, such as those related to education, health care, poverty, and human rights. But we can’t move ahead if we’re going to tolerate abstinence-only training, creationism, denial of environmental destruction, and oppression of reason. The power of simple solutions can fill a vacuum caused by the abandonment of reason, and that has got to end.”
Ruth M.
RuthMiller
Eugene, OR
Post #: 161

Jessica Ahlquist, Atheist Student In Prayer Banner Fight, Gets $40,000 Scholarship Fund

CRANSTON, R.I. -- A national association that says there's no proof for the existence of God is managing a scholarship fund set up for a teenage atheist at the center of a dispute over a prayer banner at a Rhode Island school.

The American Humanist Association says 16-year-old Jessica Ahlquist was targeted with online threats after she challenged the constitutionality of the display at Cranston High School West. It says she stood up against her critics "with class and style."

A federal judge last month ordered the banner removed. A school committee on Thursday decided not to appeal.

Blogger Hemant Mehta started a campaign at the Friendly Atheist website to raise money for Ahlquist.

The Friendly Atheist says the fund has brought in more than $40,000. The fundraiser runs through the end of February.
Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 23
I'm sharing this because the song is catchy and it's stuck in my head at the moment. You have been warned:

Horrible Histories - Charles Darwin
Deborah B.
DebBurton
Eugene, OR
Post #: 11
LOL, oh, dear... there's something rather... Rocky-Horror-ish about it, isn't there?
Lee J.
user 13404892
Eugene, OR
Post #: 24
I still haven't seen the Rocky Horror show (yes, I know, to the horror of some of the fans here). I'm just happy that it's a properly done song. Most of the geeky evolution songs are autotuned atrocities.