Center For Inquiry Northeast Ohio Message Board › The Right Battle

The Right Battle

Ray V
user 7799412
Group Organizer
Stow, OH
Post #: 881
After reading the quarterly CFINEO newsletter I feel compelled to comment on CFI member John Fazio’s “The Wrong Enemy” article. While I certainly agree that much of the world’s conflicts are in realty an amalgam of economic, political and religious motivations, I have to disagree with his perspective that religion is a benign psychological organ that is still somehow necessary and inevitable.

Many people of faith convince themselves that all Human goodness and morality comes through the grace of their particular god and anyone who does not believe or believes in another version of this being are “unsaved” and worthy of eternal torment. Why should these people have true compassion for their fellow human beings? Yes while still living these lost souls maybe be saved by conversion, but if they refuse god’s love then they are worthless and deserve nothing but suffering. I fail to see how this type of morality will in the end produce the best society Humanity can ever hope to achieve.

The wrongs attributed to religion are not entirely misdirected criticism of economic injustice. I can’t conceive of the economic motivations for such things as honor killings, female genital mutilation, homophobia, or the church’s abortion stance and most recently their opposition to the formerly uncontroversial topic of contraception. Far from being “old hat” issues these are current political topics being played out in the halls of congress and the Supreme Court on an almost daily basis.

These are just a few examples of the reasons I am involved with the Freethought/Atheist movement. Recent statistics show that an increasing number of people are rejecting traditional religions even if some of them still hold onto a feeling that there must be a purpose to life and/or a higher power of some sort. As long as these people choose to seek the divine on their own and free of church-based dogma they have moved much closer to the Freethinker’s perspective. I hold no illusions that this battle of worldviews will be won in my lifetime, but as with many battles involving social justice such as abolition and women’s rights it is necessary and worth the effort.

Freethought activist Great Christina provides a powerful list of factors motivating the Atheist movement here: