Center For Inquiry Northeast Ohio Message Board › New fundamentalist plot to preach to your school kids

New fundamentalist plot to preach to your school kids

Paul
PaulWW
Akron, OH
Post #: 28
Earlier this year CFINO hosted a presentation by author Katherine Stewart on her book The Good News Club, about Christian fundamentalist organizational efforts in public schools aimed at indoctrinating grade school students in their extremist theology. Now, Stewart is exposing a further effort by them to subvert the separation of Church and State in middle and high schools with a project called "Every Student Every School". The goal is to get students from their churches to do what adults can't do in public schools, proselytize hard-core hellfire and damnation theology to their classmates during school hours. They have a very sophisticated website and slickly produced videos to aid them in their efforts. Sponsoring organizations of this include the usual enemies of church/state separation - The Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Campus Crusade for Christ, etc.

In looking at their interactive map for the Akron area, it appears they already have representatives at work in most of the Akron public high schools, and some of the middle schools. They have students at a couple of private schools in the area as well. They are actively looking for students to become their representatives at the others.

Link to Alternet article by Stewart: http://www.alternet.o...­

Clearly this is an ongoing threat we need to keep track of.
Ray V
user 7799412
Group Organizer
Stow, OH
Post #: 883
"proselytize hard-core hellfire and damnation theology to their classmates during school hours"

Sounds like a good way to get yourself bullied. I can't imagine anyone doing this when I was in school.
They must be desperate if you ask me.
Monette R.
user 46568522
Peninsula, OH
Post #: 5
"proselytize hard-core hellfire and damnation theology to their classmates during school hours"

Sounds like a good way to get yourself bullied. I can't imagine anyone doing this when I was in school.
They must be desperate if you ask me.

My youngest daughter has a friend that tries to convert her every summer when he gets back from summer bible-thumping camp. She gives him a lot of latitude because she is a nice kid. But, she lets him know when he's pushing the boundaries of their friendship and he will back off for a bit. They give him a quota, I think.

She's also had friends try to drag her to church before. She wasn't having any of that.

It really does happen, quite a bit, really.

Looking at the map, her high school has been adopted by one person, three organizations and two groups. I'll have to have her poke around a bit and see what she can find out.