This class is for pups over 4 months old (rabies and three boosters must be finished) and for any dog that can use a refresher, is a new dog to you, or is working on being around other dogs and people. Using positive reinforcement and reward-based training along with benevolent leadership, we will work on the following:
- Establishing good cues, good consistency, good timing. Foundational stuff! : )
- Sit, Stand, Down, Watch Me, Leave it, Stop, and Mat commands.
- Polite greetings, sitting nicely for petting.
- Stay and stay with distractions.
- Come when called.
- Loose leash walking.
- Dog distractions.
We customize each class to meet the needs of the students. We will work on basic commands and practice lots of impulse control exercises. We will work on your dog's focus around other dogs and making it a rewarding experience for him/her. We will help your dog take the right steps toward obtaining Canine Good Citizen status and more!
This obedience course is six weeks in length. If you are interested in attending after the series has already started, please send me an email at [masked] and we will manually add you depending on class space!
Dogs under one year old can test for AKC STAR Puppy after the course is over, a great first step to the title of Canine Good Citizen! Here is more info on STAR Puppy: http://www.akc.org/starpuppy/about_the_program.cfm
***** LOCATION AND COST ***************
This class is scheduled for six consecutive weeks on Tuesday mornings from 9 to 9:45 a.m. Plan to attend the entire series. We will provide one makeup class if requested.
FEE: Entire series now $75 (six classes). If paying weekly, the cost is $15/class. Paypal is accepted. You may also pay by check or cash.
LOCATION: We meet near the baseball fields at Johnson-Springview park in Rocklin. You may reach me at[masked] (text okay) if you cannot find us.
******THINGS TO CONSIDER**************
1) All communication about the class is done through Meetup and email. Please check your email for any updates prior to each class. For example, if we are "on the fence" about calling it off due to rain, we would send an email out with that status. My number is[masked] (Kay) and you may email me at [masked] as well.
2) All classes are held outside so dress appropriately. A coat for short-haired dogs is a good idea during colder days.
3) Evening classes have outdoor lighting only which is not terribly bright, so please take that into consideration.
4) The meetup app for your iphone or android is a good way to keep updated on class information!
******WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS***********
- A dog up to date on vaccinations. You should always have your dog's vaccinations up to date. But did you know? Vets now offer a titer, so you can see if your dog (by levels in their blood) is due for vaccinations or not. Some dogs have positive vaccine titers for a few years before they need them again! Just something new I learned. :) Proof of vaccinations are not required since we are in a public location. Your dog should have current tags.
- Potty Bags (please clean up after your dog!)
- Good attitude. You want your dog to have a positive experience, so let's make it one and have some fun!
- Rewarding items: Skip your dogs meal prior to this training and bring his dinner to class with you or bring a whole bunch of treats that he loves. We will start off with lots of treat training until we develop the habits we want in our pets! If your dog is motivated by a toy, feel free to bring that as well.
- A six foot leash. NO SHOCK COLLARS. No retractable leashes. If your dog is reactive in any way, please bring him in a collar he cannot back out/slip out of.
- I will have a pad set out for your dog to use during class. However, you may use your own mat. Simply replace the mat that is provided with yours when you get there. You can set it off to the side. Your dog will probably want to smell it : )
- Feel free to bring a chair with you.
- Bring water for your dog to drink.
- Small dogs should wear coats in cold weather. If your dog is shivering during class, that is no fun for anyone!
******GET A HEAD START!**********
Be sure to read our Training Tips on the PAGES tab on the home page or by going here: http://www.meetup.com/CGC-in-Roseville/pages/Training_Tips!
*****WAIVER AND RELEASE OF LIABILITY**
By RSVPing for this event, you hereby release, waive, discharge and hold harmless any organizer of this meetup group as well as the City of Rocklin and its officers, agents, volunteers, and directors from any and all liability, claims, and expenses whatsoever arising out of or related to any loss, damage, or injury, that may be sustained to you or your dog as a result of your participation in this event and thereafter.