"Colorado Springs Animal Action Network" Message Board Colorado Springs Animal Advocates Discussion Forum › St. Baldrick's Foundation and Animal Testing

St. Baldrick's Foundation and Animal Testing

Liz C.
user 10934895
Colorado Springs, CO
Post #: 27
I am a middle school teacher and the last few years my school has gotten involved with fundraising (in a huge way) with the St. Baldrick's Foundation. This organization funds research to find a cure for Children's Cancer. Last week I decided to email St. Baldricks to find out if they funded research that utilized animal testing. They quickly replied and said most of the research they funded did not use animal testing, however, some did but 'only' mice and fish.

I wrote the letter below in response to their email. Below that is the email they sent to me. I would like to ask your help in sending more brief letters to them to encourage them to change their practices. Please feel free to use my name as the person you heard this from so that they will know us animal activists talk to each other. Letters should be sent to: Thea DeGroot - thea@stbaldricks.org

Thanks for your help! Liz Canuel

Thea,
Thank you for your quick reply. I appreciate that St. Baldrick's is committed to helping find a cure to children's cancer. However, I urge St. Baldrick's to consider making a commitment not to fund any research that uses animals. Experimenting on animals is an unethical practice that exploits and harms one species for the supposed benefit of another. Animal experimentation is also a scientifically invalid practice because data from animal studies cannot be reliably extrapolated to humans. Because animals are different from humans in a number of significant ways, they make inaccurate models for studying human disease, thereby sidetracking medical progress and wasting time and resources.

I hope to one day be able to contribute to your organization, however, I will be unable to until you adopt practices which include funding only research that is 100% ethical and does not utilize animal testing. Below my signature are the links for a few websites that have more information about some of the alternatives to animal testing in research. Please take a moment to look at these.

Sincerely,
Elisabeth Canuel
Middle School Teacher
Colorado Springs, CO

National Anti-Vivisection Society:
http://www.navs.org/s...­

American Anti-Vivisection Society:
http://www.aavs.org/s...­

On Jan 17, 2012, at 12:01 PM, Thea DeGroot wrote:

Hello Elisabeth,

Thank you for your question. The majority of our funding does not go to research involving animals. When researchers receiving St. Baldrick’s funding must use animals (usually mice or fish) in their work to make progress toward curing children with cancer, we require that they adhere to the most current guidelines applicable to the care and treatment of animals used in laboratory work as outlined by the National Institutes of Health. I hope this information is helpful.

Thea DeGroot
SBinfo
St. Baldrick's Foundation
Conquer Kids’ Cancer

626.792.8247, ext. 10
www.StBaldricks.org