add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

CT Hackerspace & Makerspace Message Board › Legal Entity/Organizational Structure

Legal Entity/Organizational Structure

Michael R.
user 3910256
Willimantic, CT
Post #: 5
Here's a presentation (PDF) that I found. It was created by an attorney who is also a member of a hackerspace in Illinois.­

Info on starting a nonprofit from the Connecticut Association of Nonprofits:

I am looking into something called the Connecticut Uniform Unincorporated Nonprofit Associations Act. In 1998, the Connecticut General Assembly proposed the act since "a review of Connecticut law reveals that Connecticut appears to have granted near-legal entity status to unincorporated or voluntary associations, albeit in a piecemeal fashion over the past one hundred fifty years." A committee looked into aggregating those laws to formally establish certain unincorporated nonprofit groups as legal entities. This is the 1998 report:­

This is an act adopting the act (whatever the hell that means) with several sections marked "effective October 1, 2005"

I am not a lawyer. Not incorporating but still having legal status as a nonprofit group may or may not be an option. I'm pretty sure that this unincorporated option (if it even really is an option) would mean that we wouldn't be able to accept tax deductible donations. I am curious what other people think about incorporating vs. not incorporating, 501(c)(3) status, legal entity options, and organizational structure in general. Some of the guys from NESIT showed up to our meeting last night and have been in #CTHackerspace on Freenode off and on. They have first-hand experience applying for 501(c)(3) status.