A former member
Post #: 37
none
Mary
user 6254538
Oxford, CT
Post #: 1,116
Are there any particuar knives you recommend ( Names\brand?)
Also Do you recommend a waist belt and or vest ( brand\ names)

I would like to get the most useful kind available,
And of course a Swiss army knife - ( do you reccommend a particular style)

Thank you
Mary K
Shawn R.
user 63331072
Meriden, CT
Post #: 9
Like Mary is asking, specific details would be helpful. Brands would be good or specifics on the steel that makes up a good knife.

thanks
YourCT A.
user 13393048
Windsor, CT
Post #: 47
PrepSteading Network.com

Shawn they had a couple of nights talking about the difference in knives on the shows - they are now starting at 9pm since 10p was too late for us here on the east coast we're now up to 6 nights a week
A former member
Post #: 5
I carry three knives almost all the time, when I'm out and about.

First, my folder: Actually, I have two, for private reasons. One is a Boker Kalashnikov 74 (named after the rifle, because Boker used to be a Warsaw Pact company that produced rifles and parts). It is a strong, simple-to-open, strong-locking, and comfortable tool. Blade is just over 3 1/4", and overall opened is around 7". All metal construction, the blade metal is roughly equivalent to 440 stainless, it holds a good edge, and I like the finger ridges in the handle. Price starts around $38 US.

Second folder is a SOG flash ii. It is an assisted-opener with nearly instantaneous response to a push on the ambidextrous blade tab. Blade is about 3 1/2 inches, and also about 7" overall. Same metal blade material, but it has a tough polycarbonate handle. It does not have the finger ridges, but is ergonomic enough to be quite easy to handle and use. Prices start around $40 US.

NOTE on the SOG: it comes with a blade lock that will keep it closed while in your pocket. While not a bad idea because it really does open easily, it is also not a good idea when you need to have it out in a hurry, and find the blade locked shut. So, I put a dab of clear silicon in that little mechanism, because I want it to come open as soon as I deploy it. I've had no problems carrying, probably because I don't carry it loose in my pocket, but rather hang it from the built-in belt clip.

NOTE: Both these knives become harder to hold when my hands get wet, but not so much so that I have ever lost control.

ANOTHER NOTE: I avoid serrated blades, always! The serrations are at the base of the blade, right where I need to whittle fine edges or kindling, and it is just a nuisance to me. Also, the whole reason for serrations is to keep part of the blade sharp (the points take the wear and tear and the little indentations supposedly stay sharp. What exactly is the purpose of carrying ANY knife it it isn't always already all sharp??

Kershaw also makes some great assisted-opening folders, but I find them just a bit light on the blade width and thickness. Just a personal preference, but I use my knives to pry and bend and unscrew and many things that lighter tools won't hold up to.

Second knife: straight-blade (also have two, but rely almost completely on the first one: Ontario Knife Company (OKC) M9 bayonet. It is a wide, strong blade that can be used for whittling a toothpick, or chopping down pretty substantial trees/branches. It will mount on my AR, though I don't ever expect to have to do that. But it has an aggressively grooved and ridged handle that stays put in my hands regardless of how they got wet (rain, field dressing, etc.) It keeps a great edge, and it is in subdued colors: olive drab and blackened blade. I paid just over $100 for this one, but OKC makes a wide range of very good tools, at reasonable prices.

My other straight blade is an old Buck 7", that I keep around as a back-up or sometimes loaner. It is probably 35 years old now, being one of my first "good tool" knives. I have pounded on the back of the blade with a hammer and a rock a few times, I've dug potatoes, scraped snow/ice out from under someone's high-centered car one winter...it is simply a good, tough knife. The biggest drawback is strictly personal: it is shiny, and I like not sending out random flashes of sunlight while I'm "out there". Also, the handle is very slick and hard to hold when wet. I wrapped it with some rough tape and that helped tremendously.

My third "knife" is for the real heavy stuff. I keep an Ontario mil-spec machete on my ALICE pack. I find it to be much handier, and safer to use, than a small hatchet--as well as more versatile. It has a saw-edged back that really does work for cutting firewood or shelter lengths of wood. It is more cumbersome, so there are times I opt to leave it behind, but it always stays with my "ready" gear, and travels in my pickup when not hanging from my pack. I think I bought mine for less than $30 US.

There you have it: the "Readers' Digest" version of what constitutes my good knives. Keep them sharp, keep them lubed (Endust spray is a great lube), and most importantly: keep them with you.

Mary
user 6254538
Oxford, CT
Post #: 1,140
Thomas thank you for sharing, and also including your reasons WHY you prefer the thicker blade, and its possible uses.

AND the prices.

Endust spray !!! great tip,

WHAT is an ALICE pack if you could explain, is that something that holds your knives?
A former member
Post #: 7
ALICE is a military acronym: All-purpose Light Individual Carrying Equipment. Short and sweet: it is a very rugged military back pack. It has been phased out in favor of another style of multi-purpose carrying "platforms" called MOLLE (I don't remember the meaning of the acronym.)

There are medium and large packs, and each has many places to hang equipment, specialized to the the type of activity. Under the pack, most people wear a web belt that is also specifically tailored to carrying most equipment. I hang my machete either on my left hip, or up high on my back, depending on where I'm hiking and/or what I'm walking through. There are sheaths that will fit most good straight blade knives and which are made to exactly fit the web belt. However, for personal reasons, I usually carry my straight knife in a rig I built that hangs below my left knee, inside my calf. I have an extra flap of trouser material that covers the knife so it won't snag, and is open enough for reasonably easy deployment.

The medium ALICE pack can be found at most military surplus stores, at on-line sites, or at gun shows, and they are relatively inexpensive, normally under $30.

In a later thread, I may explain my "layered" approach to preparedness carry equipment. I have a 3-day "combat load" on a web belt. I add the ALICE pack and consider it a 10-day rig, but it could go much longer, if circumstances allow. Then I have a number of plastic utility storage boxes, with varying items that I can easily throw in the back of my pickup, if that is the bug-out I decide is necessary.

Also, all good knives come with good, serviceable sheaths, and zip ties are your friends, for hanging things.
Mary
user 6254538
Oxford, CT
Post #: 1,159
Hm- Zip Ties,

Another very useful multipurpose item

I will have to get some,