While the forecast will have hiking season almost here (almost!), it'll be better conditions for one last hurrah on skis. Elk Pass area and Whiskey Jack in Peterlougheed Prov. Park seem to have received a tonne of snow, and while not trackset, should make for some fun conditions. Since its the end of season, only sign up if you know how to snowplow and herringbone. Recommended waxless ski, rock skis (though it shouldn't be that bad) and/or klister if you know how to use it.
Note: Location may change, or event may be cancelled depending upon the conditions.
Rating: XC Ski (D3)
Elevation gain:[masked] m
Time: 4 - 5 hours skiing (+ driving time; 1.5-2h one way)
- XC skis, boots, poles, waxes (as necessary)
- Bear Spray (if you have it) - apparently they're starting to be sighted
- Proper seasonal wear (dress in layers, mitts, toque, snow pants etc, spare socks)
- Lunch, snacks and water (+ tea/coffee)
- Sun glasses, sunscreen, SPF-rated chap stick
- No jeans, no cotton clothing of any kind!
- No camelbacks/hydration packs (lines freeze)
Equipment can be rented at a variety of places, including the University of Calgary Outdoor Center or MEC. If renting, have equipment ready and with you at the start time.
DRIVING AND DIRECTIONS:
We will meet at the in-Calgary meeting point and carpool from there. Drive the TransCanada to Hwy 40 going south until you reach the road block. Turn right into Peterlougheed Prov. Park, and drive 20 - 30 min, until you reach Boulton Bridge parking lot, just past Boulton Campground.
You must sign a trip waiver and contact information form to attend this event. The event organizer will have these for you.