Highwood Pass is closing for the winter on December 1st so this is our last chance to get some riding done up there. We will head into the Ptargmigan Cirque or Pocaterra bowls.
We will choose the slopes based on the avalanche risk but an early start will give us the option of riding the solar aspects.
A good level of fitness and riding/skiing ability is required for this event. Please be realistic about your abilities. You must be able to commit to the entire event.
Event may be postponed or cancelled if avalanche danger is high or there is insufficient snow.
Distance: 3-6 km
Elevation gain:[masked] m
Time: 4-6 hours
• Splitboard and skins, Snow shoes and snowboard, or Touring skis
• 3 antennae avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel - required
• Pack (must be capable of carrying a snowboard if snowshoeing)
• Ski goggles
• Collapsible poles
• Proper seasonal clothing (dress in layers, toque, gloves, wool socks)
• Extra gloves
• Lunch and drinks (no Camelbaks or hydration bladders in winter)
• Sun glasses/SPF rated lip balm
• No jeans, no cotton clothing of any kind!
Snowshoes, hiking poles, touring skis and avalanche gear can be rented at either Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) or UofC Outdoor Center. Splitboards can only be rented at the UofC Outdoor Center.
DRIVING AND DIRECTIONS:
We will meet at the in Calgary meeting point and carpool from there. Please be on time as we will only wait a short while past past the departure time before we leave.
You must sign a trip waiver and contact information form to attend this event. The event organizer will have these for you.