add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

May POW Day

It will be low visibility and snowing so Hector is out. Possible options include the knob traverse, playing in the bowl between purple and hero's knob (cliffs, trees, and jumps) followed by a descent of sweet 16, or an ascent of Bow Summit! Distance: 3-6km return

Height Gain:[masked]m

Max Elevation: EQUIPMENT:

• Splitboard and skins, touring skis

• 3 antennae avalanche beacon, probe, and shovel

• Helmet

• Ski poles

• Headlamp

• Proper seasonal clothing (dress in layers, toque, gloves, wool socks)

• Park Pass (if you have one)

• Lunch and drinks (tea/coffee)

• Sun glasses/SPF rated lip balm

• Swimsuit (will be hot springs after)

• No jeans, no cotton clothing of any kind!

Splitboards can be rented at UofC Outdoor Center or splitboardhq (be sure to reserve in advance - they tend to go fast)

Touring Skis, snowshoes and poles can be rented at either Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC) or UofC Outdoor Center. (Be sure the skins will stick when renting)


We will meet at the in Calgary meeting point and carpool from there. Please be on time as we will only wait a short while past the departure time before we leave.


You must sign a trip waiver and contact information form to attend this event. The event organizer will have these for you.

Join or login to comment.

  • jeff s.

    I ain't got photos...

    May 6, 2014

  • William

    Meet up time has changed. Apologies for the short notice.

    May 2, 2014

  • William

    Banff weather is predicting fairly heavy snowfall for this weekend. This means two things: (1) Poor visibility will make glacier travel very challenging and obscure our views, and (2) It will be a powder day! I will change the event details tonight to something more suited to the conditions :)

    April 30, 2014

    • jeff s.

      Bow summit is The Alternative if we drive there and decide against it (~25 km further, but >2000 m altitude at the car). As of tonight (wednesday) that, and the possibility at Hector, are enough of an attraction to keep me on board. Don't make any drastic changes, is what I'm sayin'.

      April 30, 2014

  • William

    Be sure to update your rsvp as soon as possible as we are limited to 6 people and will have two rope teams of three. For us snowboarders, be sure to find crampons for your boots asap. Grivel G10's are said to work well. If you rent, make sure they will fit your boots first.

    An alternative to Hector would be Crowfoot mountain.

    April 27, 2014

  • Kate

    Hi all, I'm on the wait list. Please keep me updated, really looking forward for the opportunity to go.

    April 27, 2014

  • jeff s.

    not following Abbot's footsteps, thank you very much.

    April 25, 2014

    • William

      I cannot say that we will or not since there is no gps and his footstep prints have long faded. I can say we would not follow them on mt. Lefroy, where he passed away scrambling the last few hundred meters.

      April 25, 2014

    • William

      Read his account of Mt Hector - it's in Google books.

      April 25, 2014

6 went

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy