Calgary Outdoor Nuts (CONS) Message Board › West Coast Trail 2011

West Coast Trail 2011

Trevor B.
user 9007488
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 5
Being that this trip does require quite a bit of planning, lets take all the questions that Hung has recently sent us and open up a discussion so everyone can see each others responses. if there are others in the group who have done this and can offer constructive help, please do so.
Trevor B.
user 9007488
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 6
Hi Guys,

I finally was able to calculate the cost for the WCT. I also came up with the questions I need to know for the trip. By the way you will have to calculate your own cost for transporting half your supplies on the WCT express to Nitinat Junction.

Calculation for 4 ppl in car
gas for round trip to Vancouver (gas prices will be higher in summer)
6-20 gallon tanks * 1.279$L = $580

Ferry from Vancouver to Victoria and return trip
Car $47.25x2 = $94.5
Per person 14.25x4x2 = $114

Lodging in Port Renfrew
Big Fish lodge fits 5
http://www.bigfishlod...­ $179 / 5*4 = $143.2
$25 per additional person

WCT express bus
drop off supplies at Nitinat Junction $1.5 per kilo
end of trip bus ride Pachena Bay to Port Renfrew $75x4 =$300

Water Taxi supplies to midpoint 10 ppl $60/10ppl *4 =$24
WCT trail fees Reservation fee $26.67x4 $106.68
Overnight fee $127.5x4 = $510
River Ferrys $32x4 = $128

Cost per person total/ 4 =$500


1. Do you have any back, knee, or ankle problems?

2. Currently there is only one driver. Is it possible to get a drivable car to Vancouver or you willing to find another means of transportation to Victoria?

3. Are you planning to stay in Vancouver and/or Victoria the following Saturday and Sunday?

4. Do you want to travel to anywhere or have any sort of activities you want to do when we are hanging out on the West Coast.

5. We are planning to do the trip on either Aug 5~14, 12~21, 19~28, 26~Sept 4 in priority. We might have to start the trek a day earlier than the suggested date because the spots have been taken. Earlier in Aug the nights are warmer then latter Aug. In case we don’t get the dates we want. Would you oppose to taking an extra day off? What dates are you available?

Please answer the questions as soon as possible, as well as the people on the waiting list. The host needs to organize the logistics of this trip.

If you are not 100% committed in doing this trip please remove your name from the list. There are people on the waiting list who want to attend and they need time to make plans.
Trevor B.
user 9007488
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 7
I can drive if required.

I would be okay with staying in Vancouver area and extending the holiday, but if others need to come back earlier, that is okay too.

I am okay going any of the days suggested.

Additional cost to consider, if you do not own any backpacking gear such as tent, sleeping bag, backpack, cookware, water filtration, it will cost you upwards of $500 to rent this gear for the time we are gone. You can also buy all the gear for $1000 and then own it. This assumes you already have the basic gear like boots, clothes, headlamps, raingear, etc.
Trevor B.
user 9007488
Group Organizer
Calgary, AB
Post #: 8
Evacuation of the west coast trail shouldn't be quite as bad as Hung has explained. What is your source for the $50,000 fee, I have read otherwise that the government bears the cost of rescue. Also there are multiple trailheads that you can exit at along the way, it isn't like you have to complete the entire 77 kms if you get injured.

The injured hiker should first try to reach a Trailhead on their own steam. They may also exit at Nitinat Narrows with the boat at 4 - 5 pm. There's a fee for transportation out to Nitinat Village.

If that's impossible, try to reach one of these evacuation sites:

Pachena Lighthouse (km 10)
Tsocowis Creek (km 17)
Tsuquadra Beach (km 30)
Carmanah Lighthouse (km 44)
Walbran Creek (km 53)
Logan Creek (km 56)
Cullite Cove (km 58)
Camper Bay (km 62)
Thrasher Cove (km 70)

If the injured hiker cannot move, they should remain in a safe place. Don't leave them alone. Send other hikers to find help.
A former member
Post #: 6
1. Do you have any back, knee, or ankle problems? No

2. Currently there is only one driver. Is it possible to get a drivable car to Vancouver or you willing to find another means of transportation to Victoria? I be flying out there since I don't like long car trip.

3. Are you planning to stay in Vancouver and/or Victoria the following Saturday and Sunday? I'm planning to stay in Vancouver afterward, I be meeting some friends there after finishing the west coast trail. I don't mind staying in Victoria for a night or two before heading off to Vancouver

4. Do you want to travel to anywhere or have any sort of activities you want to do when we are hanging out on the West Coast. I wanna go shopping and try sea kayaking :D

5. We are planning to do the trip on either Aug 5~14, 12~21, 19~28, 26~Sept 4 in priority. We might have to start the trek a day earlier than the suggested date because the spots have been taken. Earlier in Aug the nights are warmer then latter Aug. In case we don’t get the dates we want. Would you oppose to taking an extra day off? What dates are you available?
I don't mind if there is an extra day, I actually plan to take two weeks off from work so I can do some sightseeing afterward. I prefer the end of August, it gives me more time to save up :) so Aug 12-21 or 19-28, I want to start hiking it maybe on Friday Aug 19 or 20. I don't mind the cold night, I just sleep with a bear
Hung D.
user 12146347
Calgary, AB
Post #: 2
Evacuation of the west coast trail shouldn't be quite as bad as Hung has explained. What is your source for the $50,000 fee, I have read otherwise that the government bears the cost of rescue. Also there are multiple trailheads that you can exit at along the way, it isn't like you have to complete the entire 77 kms if you get injured.

The injured hiker should first try to reach a Trailhead on their own steam. They may also exit at Nitinat Narrows with the boat at 4 - 5 pm. There's a fee for transportation out to Nitinat Village.

If that's impossible, try to reach one of these evacuation sites:

Pachena Lighthouse (km 10)
Tsocowis Creek (km 17)
Tsuquadra Beach (km 30)
Carmanah Lighthouse (km 44)
Walbran Creek (km 53)
Logan Creek (km 56)
Cullite Cove (km 58)
Camper Bay (km 62)
Thrasher Cove (km 70)

If the injured hiker cannot move, they should remain in a safe place. Don't leave them alone. Send other hikers to find help.


I contacted the WCT office in Gordon River and they told me there is no charge for evacuation by there conservation officer. But they will only evacuate you if its a dire circumstance. Sorry for scaring you guys I got the information from someone and should of double checked it.
Powered by mvnForum

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy