Calgary Outdoor Nuts (CONS) Message Board › New Meetup: Kayak-Waiparous river

New Meetup: Kayak-Waiparous river

A former member
Announcing a new Meetup for Calgary Outdoor Nuts (CONS)!

What: Kayak-Waiparous river
When: Monday, June 6, 2011 7:00 PM

Where: (A location has not been chosen yet.)

Sorry for the short notice.

The Waiparous river has a small volume most of the year, and so can make for frustrating territory for kayakers. However, with the abundance of rain, and melt off occurring in the mountains, it is the optimal time of year to run it. The water level will be dropping soon, so now is the best time. I, or hopefully we, will be starting in the upper watershed, making our way down through some of the most rugged and isolated areas left within easy driving distance of Calgary. If our arms are still feeling strong, the weather is holding, and we still have enough daylight its great fun to portage over the reservoir and continue to Cochrane or even Calgary. The duration ranges from 4-7/7-9.5/9.5-12.5 for the Ghost reservoir, Cochrane, and Calgary, respectively.

Trip is entirely weather dependent, of course.

NO BEGINNERS. The river is at flood volume right now. The current speed is way up, and the wave height and vigor is a real danger. If you cant handle class three rapids comfortably you should not attend.

If there are any takers, give me a call, 403 390 9581(try first)/ or 403 932 3700. I will save the finer details for shuttling and meeting locations for then.

Gear required: If you dont know, then you are a beginner. I will be doing lots of other rivers over the summer, if there are people interested in giving kayaking or canoeing a shot there will be opportunities to practice on more docile stretches!

Check it out!