There are some great views across the valley toward Tent Ridge, Mount Fortune, the south portion of Spray Lakes, and of course of our destination Rummel lake!
Time: ~4-5 hours, plus driving time (This is only an estimate)
Distance: ~10km return
Elevation gain: ~400m
Difficulty rating: Moderate Snowshoe D2/D3, with a moderate pace; Good level of fitness is required before sign up.
Directions: Park on the side of the Smith-Dorrien/Spray Lakes Road at the Mount Shark turnoff, just south of Spray Lakes. There's no formal parking lot. Rummel Lake trailhead is across from Mount Shark Road, which leads to Mount Engadine Lodge and Shark Lake.
See more info here: http://www.shawnbenbow.ca/rummelsnowshoe
What to bring:
· Snowshoes (Required): Rent from MEC or UoC outdoor center
· Appropriate winter hiking clothing (Shell jacket and pants, gloves/mitts, toque, warm hat, appropriate fleece layers, base layers, extra pair of socks. NO COTTON/JEANS please!). Please be prepared for extreme weather conditions on the mountains (You can never bring too much)!
· Down jacket, in case you get cold
· Sturdy winter hiking boots
· Water bottle and/or thermos flask (2L+ water).
· Hiking poles (Optional)
· Enough food and snacks for the trip.
· Personal 1st-Aid Kit
· Gaiters (optional, but recommended if you want to avoid snow getting in your shoes while you play in it!)
· Hand warmers (optional, but they come in handy if your hands get too cold)
- If the weather is too cold, we can either move it to another day or do an easier one like Johnston canyon
-Small donation used for website fees please accepted; this way we wont have to charge fees for the events or memberships! Thanks!
CARPOOL: People with cars, please make a comment below so that people who need a ride can contact you. And please contribute money towards gas to your driver.
*Note: You will be required to sign a waiver before the trip starts. Organizers are not trained guides, please do your own preparation as well. This will be a first exploratory (and fun!!) hike for the organizers.
-Please change your RSVP if you cannot attend. Please try not to cancel at the last moment. We are going even if it is colder out, unless there are unsafe conditions; Be prepared for labile weather conditions! Please be on time!