This snowshoe is described as a pretty trail through a spruce forest, into a scenic lake.
Time: ~3-4 hours, plus driving time (This is only an estimate)
Distance: ~7km return
Elevation gain: ~300m, Trail has a steady incline
Difficulty rating: Steep hiking-Easy-Moderate Snowshoe D2/D3, with a moderate pace; Good level of fitness is required before sign up.
Directions: From the intersection of highway #1 and highway #40 turn left and head south on highway #40. Proceed for 50 kilometers on highway #40 and turn right on Kananaskis Lake Trail. Drive 12 kilometers on Kananaskis Lakes Trail and turn left into the Upper Lake Day Use Area. The trailhead is at the southern most edge of the parking lot.
- You will be required to sign a waiver before the trip starts.
-Smaller groups for these events, so please only sign up if you are going to come; we are going even if it is colder out, unless there are unsafe conditions; Be prepared for labile weather conditions! I have went out when it was colder and got blue skies and nicer conditions within an hour! So only sign up if you are willing to go with the flow of things, as it is a new group and adventure! Please be on time!
What to bring:
· Snowshoes (Required): Rent from MEC or UoC outdoor center
· Appropriate winter hiking clothing (Shell jacket and pants, gloves/mitts, toque, warm hat, appropriate fleece layers, base layers, extra pair of socks. NO COTTON/JEANS please!). Please be prepared for extreme weather conditions on the mountains (You can never bring too much)!
· Down jacket, in case you get cold
· Sturdy winter hiking boots
· Water bottle and/or thermos flask (2L+ water).
· Hiking poles (Optional)
· Enough food and snacks for the trip.
· Personal 1st-Aid Kit
· Gaiters (optional, but recommended if you want to avoid snow getting in your shoes while you play in it!)
· Hand warmers (optional, but they come in handy if your hands get too cold)
-Please message me if you wish to meet at the trail head.
-Small donation used for website fees please accepted; this way we wont have to charge fees for the events or memberships! Thanks!
CARPOOL: People with cars, please make a comment below so that people who need a ride can contact you. And please contribute money towards gas to your driver