The weather has been crappy since spring officially started, but the next weekend is looking good. This trip is quite close to Calgary, is relatively short, but quite steep hike which offers amazing views and good workout.
You can manage it without trouble if you are in good physical shape and have some kind of foot traction. THIS IS NOT A BEGINNERS HIKE!
Elevation gain: about 700 meters
Distance: 7 km return
Time: ~ 3-4 hours
Driving Time: ~45 min one way
Directions: 22 km west of Bragg Creek, you can turn off highway 66 at the Elbow Falls Parking lot. Park on the North side of the road on the shoulder at the winter closure gates. The trail is well-defined and heads straight up (North) from the highway.
What to bring:
· Microspikes/icers/cleats/Yak Trax (Mandatory)· You can rent spikes from UoC outdoor center
· Good pair of lungs
· Appropriate winter hiking clothing (Shell jacket, snowpants/waterpoof pants, gloves, toque, appropriate layers, extra layer for summit, extra pair of socks. NO COTTON please!).
· Ski/hiking poles (Recommended)
· Sturdy hiking/winter boots
· Sunglasses and/or ski goggles
· Thermos flask and/or water bottle (1 - 2 Liters).
· Personal 1st-Aid Kit (Atleast some band-aids/blister guards)
· Gaiters (optional)
· Enough food for the trip.
· Hand warmers (optional)
· Crazy carpet (optional), so that you can slide on the way down without ripping your pants
Expect it to be very WINDY on the top!!!
Let me know if you have any questions
You will be expected to sign a waiver