THE CALGARY MOTORCYCLE RIDERS AND EVERYTHING ELSE GROUP Message Board › New (and less expensive) Motorcycle GPS

New (and less expensive) Motorcycle GPS

user 10258512
Calgary, AB
Post #: 11
I was just up at GPS City in Calgary buying a RAM mount for my GPS. And I noticed that the old Garmin 550 and 660 motorcycle units have been replaced with newer models that are literally 1/2 the price, if anyone is interested. Go Canadian dollar go!
user 14621937
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
What model are they selling now?
Mucho Denaro?
user 10258512
Calgary, AB
Post #: 12
A few years ago, the gold standard for motorcycle GPS units was the Garmin Zumo 550... everyone I know that had one really liked it, but the price tag of $900 was just too much for me. Then they came out with a 660 model for about $800, but it only had a touch screen instead of the motorcycle glove style buttons, so again I took a pass. I ended up buying a cheap ($180) Garmin Nuvi model designed for car use and after two years, it is still going strong.

But Garmin now has a new motorcycle GPS called the Zumo 220. It is priced at about $400 and you could probably get it on sale for less. When mine packs it in, or the maps become too old, then I am planning to get one of the new Zumo's... they are waterproof and more rugged and generally designed for motorcycle use. I'll pay an extra $100 for a motorcycle model, but I sure wouldn't pay an extra $700.

For what it's worth, they also have a card that allows you to store music, which is kind of nice on a long trip.

Hope this helps... Wave if you see a stately Royal Enfield at the local coffee shop
user 10258512
Calgary, AB
Post #: 13
Oops, I forgot what is probably the best deal right now... It's a waterproof and shockproof Nuvi 550 (which many reviewers say is just as good as the Zumo 220). It's on for $220 at GPS city right now. Bottom line is motorcycle GPS units are a heck of a lot cheaper than they were last year!
user 12971400
Calgary, AB
Post #: 6

I guess if you want to add mp3s other ones may be worth it...

I personally like my Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx granted it is now a discontinued model but it is quite good... it is water proof, floats does everything a GPS should (no mp3 function though) and it is small but still has a reasonable screen and with extra SD cards I can toss in maps from around the world. It can also be used for Nautical maps as well as for parachuting/skydiving.

I have to say it gets awesome reception.. even in places GPS don't normally get reception...

The Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx is similar but doesn't float and has more rubberizing on it for more hiking uses... Both were based off the military spec product but had the sensitivity de-tuned slightly less accurate than the military spec but still more accurate than most GPS

It is an older model so probably can be bought cheaper but it takes the nüMaps so you can get the lifetime updates.