Lynn F.
LynnfromCalgary
Calgary, AB
Post #: 31
Anyone carry extra gas in the form of a gerry can or fuel cell when riding? Obviously something puncture proof, leakproof and safety endorsed, stored away from heat is ideal...but just wondering what the laws and what the thoughts are. I still haven't figured out the fuel/mileage capacity on my bike and a bit concerned about running out of gas in the middle of nowhere until I get to that comfort level.

I had thought of hauling a red plastic jerry can (purchased new this year) on the luggage rack on the back of the seat, secured with a cargo net.

Good or bad idea?
A former member
Post #: 18
I carry extra gas in a container that looks like a large metal water bottle except it is bright orange and meant for fuel. It lives in one side bag along with tools, first aid, rain gear, random bike stuff, etc. I use and replace with fresh fuel every few weeks.

I purchased the container on www.twistedthrottle.com but you can get virtually the same thing at Bass Pro Shop upstairs in the camping section.

It has never leaked and saved a buddy when we were riding in Idaho once!!
Lynn F.
LynnfromCalgary
Calgary, AB
Post #: 32
Thanks Suzanne! I actually ordered a couple of these. Bit nervous on carrying fuel, so I think the $$ spent on the right product is a good investment! After having run out of gas once in a relatively deserted area with no cell service...I'm a bit paranoid now ;)

http://www.tourtank.c...­
Zokambaa
user 12971400
Calgary, AB
Post #: 32
I personally use Camp-Fuel bottles... they are reasonably priced and still very durable

MEC carries them as do many sporting goods/camping shops.

I got mine in the USA and it holds about a liter... I got 2 of them and strap them to the side of my saddlebags.

If you go to google images and search on MSR Fuel Bottle it will show a number of bikers using them too... another benefit is it is multi-fuel safe... so you can have gas or camp fuels in it... and if you are a camper they come in handy there too

MSR Fuel Bottle on google images

While it isn't going to hold massive amounts of fuel 1 or 2 is generally all I need... plus I can buy more bottles and add them to the collection if I need more.

They also only cost about $10-$20 depending on size
A former member
Post #: 1
Hi Lynn,

There are a lot of options out there, that are safe and secure. RotoPax is one, but I don't know what type of bike you ride, so there mounting options may not work. Or look at ADVdesigns.com, which carry several options for various bikes.

Conrad
A former member
Post #: 19
Yes, the MSR is exactly what I have. I've only ever carried the one but if I were going somewhere a bit remote I could see adding more.

My only experience being stranded was a flat tire somewhere in the desert in Nevada but I was fortunate to have cell service. It did get me looking into tire repair kits but I haven't purchased anything - anyone have any recommendations?
A former member
Post #: 55
+1 on what Suzanne said...

Bought a 1 litre aluminum bottle from MEC to take on LD rides. It holds less then 1l, but I always fill with premium to make sure there is no Ethanol. Since Ethanol blended fuel has less energy, Premium give more 'bang per litre.

The larger Tour Tube is rated at 2.8l, which is the largest I've seen so far. At 4"x14", I don't know if it could fit in my side bags. This may mean exterior mounting bracket...
Zokambaa
user 12971400
Calgary, AB
Post #: 33
I like the idea of the aluminum ones... but they look like they cost a lot more... maybe I was looking in the wrong spot but it looks like you could get 4 or 5 MSR bottles for the same price or less

I saw some pretty creative ways of mounting these on some adventure and longer tour type sites...

but you would either need a lot of bottles or a bigger tank if you need to go more than 25 or 50km

I got mine as a range booster.. but also because I wasn't sure if the low fuel light was working on my old bike... the one time I forgot the bottles I ran out of gas... luckily I only had to push it about 100 meters

The best thing is to know your average KM per tank to reserve (or low fuel light) and keep track of it... it is also a good way to see when something is up with the bike if you suddenly see a change in the average mileage.

+1 on what Suzanne said...

Bought a 1 litre aluminum bottle from MEC to take on LD rides. It holds less then 1l, but I always fill with premium to make sure there is no Ethanol. Since Ethanol blended fuel has less energy, Premium give more 'bang per litre.

The larger Tour Tube is rated at 2.8l, which is the largest I've seen so far. At 4"x14", I don't know if it could fit in my side bags. This may mean exterior mounting bracket...

John
user 12410841
Okotoks, AB
Post #: 19
Hey - I have an MSR bottle (887ml or 30 oz) - gonna go get another one next week I think too. I was going to mount them to the underside of my bags with a bicycle water bottle holder but I was just looking around for a different type of holder and saw these:

http://www.agrisupply...­

I have just ordered these holders - cheap as chips and when I receive them I will let you know.

Zokambaa
user 12971400
Calgary, AB
Post #: 34
I think those are the ones I have... Technically they would hold a liter, but you can only fill them to the line so as to leave room for expansion, thus the odd size...

Those holders look interesting... I'm pretty sure some people used them for the same purposes... they look familiar

I think this link shows something like you have in mind...
www.thetooltube.com/MegaTube.html­

Looks pretty cool

I found the link now... I've seen another type of setup with the adventure tour group which mount some PVC DIY tube kits.. Mostly for the V-Strom people who have a space on the left side opposite the right side exhaust
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301252­

Hey - I have an MSR bottle (887ml or 30 oz) - gonna go get another one next week I think too. I was going to mount them to the underside of my bags with a bicycle water bottle holder but I was just looking around for a different type of holder and saw these:

http://www.agrisupply...­

I have just ordered these holders - cheap as chips and when I receive them I will let you know.