From the lookout you can see all the way into the area of Dead Man’s Flats and the Trans-Canada Highway. The Loop offers great views of Mounts Columbolla, Allan and Nakiska. On the return home, take the Troll Falls Trail and check out Troll Falls. It only adds a kilometer or so to the trip.
***Read every word of this posting before your RSVP!*****
Trips are dependent on weather conditions and for that reason the morning of the trip please check the website to make sure the event is not cancelled.
• Your participation is at the discretion of your Event Host. Read the page, answer the question at the end and waitlist yourself to request a spot.
• If you cancel after RSVP is closed you will be marked as No Show.
• Anyone who double books on Meetup System will be taken off from this event.
•If you have two or more no snows you will not attend this event.
• Details of this event are subject to undergo a change at any point in time, with or without warning.
• Please be realistic about your abilities, you must be able to commit to the entire event. Our pace will be relaxed; it will not be a race. Only sign up if you are willing to stick together and hike as a group. No beginners.
Distance: 22 km
Elevation gain: 600 + M
Difficulty Rating: Huff and Puff
To keep the environment footprint small, maximum group size: 12
Minimum Group Size: 4
Duration: 5-6 hours plus driving time. Please note: duration is approximate, always expect the unexpected and come prepared
Direction: Drive south 23 kilometers on highway 40 (Kananaskis Trail) from the intersection of highways #1 and #40. Turn west (right) at the Nakiska Ski Area. Take the left onto Centennial Drive and then the right on Ribbon Creek Road. Continue down to the far end of the parking area.
For safety reasons anyone arrives unprepared will be asked to go home.
Dress appropriately for the weather
Winter hiking boots (if you show up with runners and/or jeans I will not take you for this hike.)
Hiking poles (optional, however advisable)
Snowshoe, Foot traction (microspikes/icers) - must bring item
Bear spray (NO BEAR BELL)
Water, Extra Snacks and/or Packed Lunch
Pack garbage out (must)
Who can attend: No dogs. No children. No smokers. Members only. You must be on the RSVP list to attend.
Suggested carpool fare $20, paid in cash to your driver at the end of the trip.
By registering for this hike, you signify that you're aware of the risks associated with nature hiking and are aware of your physical limits and how they relate to this particular event. You also signify that you take full responsibility for your safety (although we’ll all do our best to ensure that everyone returns safe and sound) and don’t hold the organizer of the hike or the organizers of this group responsible for any harm that might occur as a result of your participation.