D5 maybe D6 Winter Snowshoe Scramble -- Read Ridge possibly Read's Tower

  • March 17, 2013 · 8:00 AM
  • McMahon Stadium

 

I could use other suggestions. If we get a lot of new snow we may be limited to just the Ridge.

This is a D5 snowshoe with a possible D6 winter scramble extension.

Difficulty level: (see our difficulty ratings chart if you aren't sure: RATINGS CHART)

The pace will be slow-moderate.

We start out in the tree's, there might be a trail or we will be route finding. Once we break out of the tree's we will be following a ridge.The end of the ridge is Read's Tower. If conditions are favorable we will attempt the Tower.  Because of the unknown nature of snow on steep terrain, we will be monitoring AVI conditions as we go. If at any point the conditions are deemed unsafe we will turn around.

RISKS: Snow and ice, cold temperatures, possible exposure, rockfall. potential AVI conditions.

Elevation gain: 650 M to the high point of Ridge, 920 M to top of Tower.

Time on trail: 4 to 7 hours

Distance: 4 km for Ridge, 5.5 km to Tower, both Return

Required Equipment:

  • Mountaineering type snowshoes. Must work on steep snow.
  • Winter Hiking boots
  • Dress for Winter it will be cold, No cotton.
  • Hiking poles
  • Headlamp (just in case!)
  • Water
  • Food
  • Microspikes
  • For the attempt on Read's Tower we will need an Ice Axe.

Recommended : Camera, personal first aid,

Driving and Directions: Take the Trans-Canada to Canmore. Drive through downtown, and when you get to the end of the main street (8 Street), turn left. Follow that up and around until you reach the right turn onto Spray Lakes Road (which turns into Highway 742/Smith Dorrien Spray Trail). Continue for about 24.5 km and turn into the Sparrowhawk day use area.  Click here to see a driving map.

Costs: Members are free. Non-member fee is $5.

Transport: CORA trips start at the trail head. We meet at the meeting point in Calgary to make organizing trips easier and help ensure we know who's showing up. Please be on time. We can arrange carpooling at the meetup.You may choose to meet us at the trail head, but please advise us ahead of time.

TRIP WAIVER AND CONDITIONS: You must sign a trip waiver to attend this event. The trip waiver can be found here. Please read the document before we depart. To participate you must have paid your yearly membership fee is $20 which lasts until the Annual General Meeting. If you have a 2012 membership, it will continue to be accepted until our AGM in February/March 2013. However, 2013 memberships, which last until the 2014 AGM, are now available to be purchased. Alternately, you may participate as a non-member for $5 for the day.

 

Code of Conduct

By attending this trip you agree to be bound by the CORA Rules of Conduct.

Join or login to comment.

  • sidney w.

    Great hike in spite of the lousy morning weather. Thank you Darcy for making Plan B work out nicely.

    March 17, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    Thanks everyone for coming out. Had a hardy group. Because of poor road conditions and visibility. We headed up Barrier Lake Fire Lookout. This was no regular trip. We ended up doing a more direct route bypassing a lot of the switchbacks. After returning to Prairie View Lookout we headed southwest following a very snowy ridge. We went up and down a few time before we had a steep decent down to the Stoney Trail. Following it back along the lake to the parking lot. We covered almost 12 km and 750 M of elevation, in 6.5 hrs on trail. This would have a D5 winter Scramble rating.

    2 · March 17, 2013

  • Morgan

    Thanks Darcy for a great day in the mountains!

    March 17, 2013

  • Garry S.

    A great day despite freezing cold and zero visibility in the morning. Thanks everyone!

    1 · March 17, 2013

  • shu y.

    I am still recovering from my skiing injury..... Bad knees.

    March 16, 2013

    • Morgan

      Get well soon Shu!

      March 17, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Still feeling lousy with this lingering flu; see how I feel in the morning.

    March 16, 2013

  • Cathrine M, A.

    I've double booked myself. Since there are 12 of you I will bow out of this one. Have a great day guys!

    March 16, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    As of current conditions, I'm still heading to Read's Ridge. If Read's Tower is safe we will also try that.

    2 · March 16, 2013

  • catalin

    If you do Ha Ling, I'd love to come.

    March 16, 2013

  • Carol L.

    Relatives coming to town cant make the outing this sunday have fun you guys i was out to TAylor Lake snow is very heavy and bunches up on snowshoes

    March 15, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    With the expected snowfall this weekend. We may have to change the destination. I have never done Reads Ridge or Tower, so if we get lots of snow. I may do something more familiar like Ha Ling. I could also use some other D5 suggestions that are closer.
    I plan on going out, unless roads are unsafe.

    March 14, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I don't thinking I have anything that green for hiking.

    March 14, 2013

  • Cathrine M, A.

    St. Paddy's day on Sunday!
    Wear something green :)

    1 · March 13, 2013

  • Bastian B.

    Happy with the new date, been sick and didn't think that hiking in a snow storm helped... But keen for the new one

    March 6, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I moved the trip to March 17 2013. I have to help my sister move her stuff next weekend.

    1 · March 2, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    After coming home from work and checking all the comments and AVI rating. I have decided to CANCEL this trip. The AVI rating is high and with the possibility of poor roads and a road closer it's not worth it.

    1 · March 2, 2013

    • Darcy K.

      There are questions about road conditions as well, so deciding to stay in the City.

      1 · March 2, 2013

    • Morgan

      Sounds good Darcy. If you do move this trip, would you be considering next week, e.g. Saturday Mar9?

      March 2, 2013

  • Garry S.

    If we get a nice dump of snow tonight, it might make some inter resting in-town adventures - if it clears up.

    March 2, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I'm thinking of doing an in city hike tomorrow. Possibly brunch at 11:00am, Denny's off Macleod then Weasel Head or other choice's. I will leave this page open for abit to see if anyone is interested, then I will make new event.

    March 2, 2013

  • Claudia

    Sorry, I am not going, not feeling safe with the Avi conditions. I was so looking forward for it. Hope it is another snowshoe trip soon.

    March 2, 2013

  • Ugur P ".

    Darcy, we did Ha Ling today, and on the way back they closed the gate at Goat Creek,parking lot due to avalanche danger. You might find a closed gate tomorrow, if you are coming through Canmore. Watch out for it!

    March 2, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Darcy and I will talk to night but there is a high possiblity that this trip will get cancelled due to Avi conditions and weather.

    March 2, 2013

  • Peter

    The winter storm watch has made me change my mind, really wanted to go but not under those conditions, be careful on the roads

    March 2, 2013

  • Cassandra S.

    Hey all,

    I'm going to back out of this one due to the winter storm warning. My car won't make it in freezing rain and drifting snow :( Hopefully, I can catch the next one - I was really looking forward to it. Have fun for those who will brave it and go!

    March 2, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    I'm a maybe right now, with a persisting head cold. Will update later today.

    March 2, 2013

  • Cathrine M, A.

    http://www.calgaryherald.com/te...­

    Winter storm warning for Saturday night and Sunday. Freezing rain forecast for sunday morning

    March 1, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    It still looks like we are going to get a bunch of snow Sunday. The AVI risk is fairly high. We will most likely not be able to scramble up the Tower, unless it is wind blown. We will monitor conditions as we go.

    March 1, 2013

  • steve

    I'll be in Victoria , have fun

    February 26, 2013

  • Claudia

    Thank you!

    February 25, 2013

  • Morgan

    Darcy: I got snazzy snowshoes with heel lifts! Can't wait to be out on them again :) and yes I have an axe now...Santa was very good to me.

    February 25, 2013

  • Morgan

    Passenger

    February 25, 2013

8 went

Membership dues

CAD20.00 before first trip

This covers: Annual Membership

Payment is accepted using:

  • PayPal
  • Cash or check - “Payment must be made before attending your first trip of the year with CORA. Your Membership will be valid until the next AGM.

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Start your Meetup today

Act now and get 50% off.
Until February 1.

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy