addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo
This Meetup is cancelled

D5-6 YAMNUSKA SCRAMBLE (WINTER CONDITIONS)

  • McMahon Stadium

    1817 Crowchild Trail N.W.
    Next to the pedestrian overpass to the Banff Trail LRT Station
    Calgary, AB (map)

    51.070778 -114.119247

  • I drive a red Ford Fusion . cell #[masked]
  • YAMNUSKA

    Difficulty: D6

    This trip is rated difficulty level 6. A D6 trip is appropriate for fit and experienced hikers. You should expect variable trail conditions, including snow and ice as well as scree and uneven ground. Steep uphill or downhill travel is certain and there may be off trail and route finding.There is some scrambling on the Yamnuska traverse. It looks something like this:



    Date: April 7, 2013

    Meetup time: 8:00 am

    Distance: 11 km 
    Height gain: 900 m

    Hiking time: 6-7 hours

    Car Pool Location: McMahon Stadium

    CORA trips start at the trailhead. As a convenience to participants only, we meet at the meeting point in Calgary then car pool from there. Please be on time. We don't want to have to wait around long. You may choose to meet us at the trailhead, but please advise us ahead of time. Please indicate in your RSVP COMMENTS if you can drive, if necessary. Please reimburse some $$ to drivers for gas.

    Car Pooling:
    Please indicate in your COMMENTS if you can drive. I need to know if we have adequate transportation for all participants.

     

    Code of Conduct

    By attending this trip you agree to be bound by the CORA Rules of Conduct.

    Weather: yet unknown (http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/caab0177). In the spring, however, you must expect any weather condition possible from rain to sunshine to snow. 

    Gear to bring:

    • Hiking boots (waterproof)
    • Warm winter/spring hiking clothing: warm jacket (down or fleece or both), waterproof/wind proof jacket, moisture wicking base layers, water resistant/proof pants, warm gloves, socks, hat... NO COTTON
    • Microspikes (see example)
    • Ice axe (see example)
    • Food (lunch and snacks) and water (at least two litres)
    • First aid kit (minimum: blister and wound care)
    • Map


    Recommended:

    • sunscreen
    • bear spray
    • camera
    • sunglasses


    TRIP WAIVER AND CONDITIONS:

    You must sign a trip waiver to attend this event. The trip waiver can be found here. Please read the document (http://files.meetup.com/1575023/TRIP%20WAIVER-June2012.pdf) before we depart. To participate you must have paid your yearly membership fee is $20 which lasts until the Annual General Meeting. If you have a 2012 membership, it will continue to be accepted until our AGM in February/March 2013. However, 2013 memberships, which last until the 2014 AGM, are now available to be purchased. Alternately, you may participate as a non-member for $5 for the day.

     

    NOTE: THIS WAS ORIGINALLY LISTED AS D5-6 MT HAFFNER SNOWSHOE BUT DUE TO WEATHER CONDITIONS WAS CHANGED TO YAMNUSKA

     

    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    PREVIOUS TRIP DESCRIPTION:

    Mt. Haffner is located in Kootenay National Park, B.C..  PARK PASS NEEDED.

    This trip is weather dependent. I'm not driving all that way to see nothing. Also we have a couple slopes that can slide, AVALANCHE DANGER. The slopes are small but may be hard to go around. AVI rating needs to be MODERATE or LOW.

    My backup plan is Yamnuska.

    Difficulty: This is a DIFFICULT SNOWSHOE

    Elevation gain: 1140M, max height 2535M

    Distance: 11 km

    Time:about 6.5- 9 hrs on trail

    Hazards: Avalanche potential, weather, bears

    From the parking lot we drive out Hwy #1 West. Pick up park pass's in Banff if needed. Turn off at Castle Junction and head south on Highway 93. Park at Numa Falls. Around 2 hrs driving one way.

    The Organizer's have never done Mt. Haffner before. This is a new peak.

    Do your research of the trip before you sign up. The organizer reserves the right to move people on and off the trip.

    Rules of Conduct (clickable): By participating in this CORA activity, you automatically agree to follow the CORA Rules of Conduct. Please read them by clicking here.

    TRIP WAIVER AND CONDITIONS: You must sign a trip waiver to attend this event. Your organizer will be your witness. Yearly membership fee is $20 which lasts until the Annual General Meeting. Alternately, you may participate as a non-member for $5 for the day.

    TRANSPORT:
    CORA trips start at the trailhead. As a convenience to participants only, we meet at the meeting point in Calgary then car pool from there. Please be on time. We don't want to have to wait around long. You may choose to meet us at the trailhead, but please advise us ahead of time. Please indicate in your RSVP COMMENTS if you can drive, if necessary. I need to know if we have adequate transportation for all participants.
    Please reimburse some $$ to drivers for gas. Gas contributions for drivers to be equally divided among participants in each vehicle.

    EQUIPMENT: Weather can change quickly -- Weather can change quickly -- sun, rain, snow, wind, hot, or cool -- BE PREPARED.

    MANDATORY: - SNOWSHOES,Sense of humor, 2-3 liters of water/Gatorade, snacks (energy food) layers (NO COTTON Shirts), Dress for winter, warm sturdy boots, sun glasses, personal first-aid kit, warm gloves, fleece hat, hiking poles, no jeans!.

    RECOMMENDED: -a camera, extra batteries, gaitors, sunscreen, bear spray, microspikes.
    See you on the Trail!.

Join or login to comment.

  • Darcy K.

    I have decided to CANCEL this trip. The Roads are rated in poor conditions and we are expected to have snow all day! I really wanted to to go because I can't go out next weekend.

    April 14, 2013

    • Morgan

      Np, have a good one Darcy.

      April 14, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I will plan Mt Haffner for the beginning of May.

    1 · April 14, 2013

  • Danny

    Not Yam again :(

    April 13, 2013

    • Darcy K.

      Come on Danny, are you going to let Yam beat you!

      April 13, 2013

    • Danny

      It did already, to the bone, two years ago, so i figure it can't beat me AGAIN if i'm not there, haha!!

      April 14, 2013

  • Emilio S

    Sorry, Darcy but i got the same reason like Danny :(... I was so excited about Haffner. This is it, next time. Have a nice trip, guys!

    April 13, 2013

    • Danny

      Emilio, I have a different reason...

      April 14, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I will make a decision in the morning by 7:00 am if I cancel.

    April 13, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    Everyone please look in the morning for any comments. Because of the snow I may cancel this trip. I have no problem hiking in the snow. But driving in this wet snow could be dangerous.

    April 13, 2013

  • Mihaela M.

    Hi Becky, first thank you for replying to me, my phone number is 4038052253. Unfortunatelly I have to back out this time as the weather looks really bad and I was sick recently. I hope I will see you next time. One more time thank you for replying to me.

    April 13, 2013

  • Mihaela M.

    Please let me know today before 9pm if I can meet the group at the Petro Canada station on a HWY1 and what time should I be there, as
    I am leaving far down in SW. I hope somebody will reply to me as I really want to go but I have to know. Thank you and I wait for the answer and if no answer I will have to back out. If any one is leaving close to Somerset I can give a ride.

    April 13, 2013

    • Becky

      Hi Mihaela, we can meet you at the Petro-Can at 9:30am + or - 10 minutes depending on when we actually leave the stadium parking lot and the road conditions. Email me your cell phone number if you would like me to text you when we leave McMahon and send updates.

      April 13, 2013

  • Claude

    I've just notice the change of destination. I'm not into doing Yam yet again. Have fun.

    April 13, 2013

  • Becky

    Opps, I forgot to mention: we also changed the meetup departure time to 8:00 am. No need to wake up quite so early for an hour drive!

    1 · April 12, 2013

  • Becky

    Darcy and I discussed it and we both agree that the weather conditions will not be right for a trip up Haffner this Sunday. We both want to save Haffner to enjoy on a day clear day when we can enjoy the views and we don't have to worry about conditions. The alternative trip is Yamnuska, which we know many of you have done before but is a favourite of ours and doesn't require good views to be fun or a long drive in poor weather. Please see the new Yamnuska description on the meetup page.

    2 · April 12, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    The final decision will be Saturday. Yam is an easy scramble with some exposure, it will be slippery with new snow. Ice axe will be highly recommended.

    April 11, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    The weather forcast for Sunday is not looking good. If it continues as expected we will not be doing Mt. Haffner. I will change it to Yamnuska Loop. I no most of you have done it. But it's close and if we don't see much it won't be the end of the world.

    April 11, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I forgot to say this is a DIFFICULT SNOWSHOE trip.

    April 8, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I do not want people to take guests on this trip. I want to know everyone's ability to do this trip or I may not let you go.

    April 8, 2013

Cancelled

Membership dues

CAD20.00 before first trip

This covers: Annual Membership

Payment is accepted using:

  • PayPal
  • Cash or check - “Payment must be made before attending your first trip of the year with CORA. Your Membership will be valid until the next AGM.

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

Our Sponsors

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy