D5-6 Mt. Lawrence Grassi Easy- moderate scramble

  • May 5, 2013 · 8:00 AM
  • McMahon Stadium

Mt Lawrence Grassi is mostly an easy SCRAMBLE up a steep ridge, Moderate scrambling at the top to gain the last few meters. There is some slab and short narrow sections on the ridge.

 

Distance: 10 km
Elevation gain: 945 M
Driving time 1hr 15 min one way
On trail 6-7 hrs

Hazards: Minimal exposure, possible rockfall, bears, weather.

We should have views of Canmore and the surrounding mountains.

We follow Hyw. #1 West to Canmore. Travel up the Spray lakes road to Whiteman's Gap and park at the Goat Creek parking area. We hike across the canal bridge and travel along the canal for about 2.5 km then head into the tree's. Once above treeline we follow a ridge to the top. We return the same way.

Rules of Conduct (clickable): By participating in this CORA activity, you automatically agree to follow the CORA Rules of Conduct. Please read them by clicking here.

TRIP WAIVER AND CONDITIONS: You must sign a trip waiver to attend this event. Your organizer will be your witness. Yearly membership fee is $20 which lasts until the Annual General Meeting. Alternately, you may participate as a non-member for $5 for the day.

TRANSPORT:
CORA trips start at the trailhead. As a convenience to participants only, we meet at the meeting point in Calgary then car pool from there. Please be on time. We don't want to have to wait around long. You may choose to meet us at the trailhead, but please advise us ahead of time. Please indicate in your RSVP COMMENTS if you can drive, if necessary. I need to know if we have adequate transportation for all participants.
Please reimburse some $$ to drivers for gas. Gas contributions for drivers to be equally divided among participants in each vehicle.

EQUIPMENT: Weather can change quickly -- Weather can change quickly -- sun, rain, snow, wind, hot, or cool -- BE PREPARED.

MANDATORY: - Microspikes, sense of humor, 2-3 liters of water/Gatorade, snacks (energy food) layers (NO COTTON Shirts), Dress for spring, waterproof boots, sun glasses, personal first-aid kit, warm gloves, fleece hat, hiking poles, no jeans!.

RECOMMENDED: -a camera, extra batteries, gaiters, sunscreen, bear spray, Helmet and Ice Axe are optional.


See you on the Trail!.

Join or login to comment.

  • A former member
    A former member

    #1 trip in the rockies for me so far..

    May 7, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Amazing day! Can't add more to what Darcy and Bastian said.

    Just a bit statistical information: Elevation gain: 1065m. Summit: 1720m. Bob Spirko has the same number on his web-site, so Allan Kane's numbers must be wrong.

    May 5, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    You couldn't have asked for a better day. Strong sun and no wind. Thanks everyone for coming out. Had a great group. We had more snow than expected, everyone made the main summit. Finally made the second peak.

    May 5, 2013

  • Bastian B.

    Awesome trip with with stunning sunshine and great people!!!!

    May 5, 2013

  • Irtaza N.

    My knee is hurting. It was injured in a hike on Friday. My regrets.

    May 5, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I have added Timur as a host he wants to become an Organizer.

    May 4, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    Changes have been made. I also changed the meetup time to 8:00 am.

    May 4, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    If there is no other suggestions, we will be doing Mt. Lawrence Grassi. D5-6 easy - moderate scramble

    May 4, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I will change the details and add the people from wait list tomorrow after work.

    May 3, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    I would be open to other suggestions. Mt. Lawrence Grassi is 950 M elevation and 10 km. Don't let the numbers fool you. You actually gain 945M in 2.5 km, it's steep.

    May 3, 2013

  • Darcy K.

    Hi Guys, sorry I was away all week. I come back and find this trip is having AVI safety issues. Who Knew, it's May for good sake. Because of the unknown about Mt. Haffner and the long drive. We would have to leave the city by 5:30 am to get out there in time to summit before snow softens up. I will change the trip. I'm thinking Mt Lawrence Grassi, its mostly an easy scramble with close to summit getting more challenging.

    May 3, 2013

  • Becky

    I just got off the phone with Darcy who only only just back in town. There is definitely be a trip this Sunday but he is still working out a location. The aim is for a big elevation/views day that avoids the deeper avalanche prone mountains. Stay tuned.

    May 3, 2013

  • Becky

    Darcy is out of town and I have been waiting to check what he wants to do. I just got off the phone with the information centre in lake louise and they are recommending cancelling the trip because the forecast is so bad. He says that we would want to be off the mountain before noon temperatures hit and even then still carry all our avi gear to ensure we stay safe. I don't know about you, but I am not confident in our ability to drive 2.5 hours and then snowshoe 1100 m elevation up and back down in the parking lot before noon. I will try to contact Darcy and let all of you know the plan today.

    May 3, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Hello, is this trip still a go? I'm sure everyone else on the list has the same question. Avalanche conditions are not going to change, unless weather forecast radically changes. If this outing gets cancelled, then I hope to get out on my own tomorrow or on Sun.

    May 3, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Oh My !! How much I want to do the Mt. Hafner Snowshoe ! But our Tango instructors just got in from Buenos Aires for 5 intensive days. Have Fun !!

    May 2, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    IMHO, I'd suggest leaving the city as early as possible so we'll be off the questionable slopes before the sun heat really kicks in by mid-afternoon. In conditions like this, timing is crucial.

    May 1, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    I was told that the avalanche risk on this route is fairly low - there is no gullies or terrain traps to cross. When the snow stability is in question, it is advised to stick to the ridge on climber's right, which is usually windblown dry. Yes, this looks like a typical Class II terrain: there is avalanche potential but it can be minimized with careful routefinding.

    May 1, 2013

  • Becky

    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2013/05/01/calgary-hiking-avalanche-warning.html

    Darcy and I will be monitoring the avalanche conditions this week and let you know the status of the trip. CORA safety policy says we can't run a trip in complex or challenging terrain when the avalanche conditions are considerable and above. Even with slightly better, or moderate, conditions we would all need probes, shovels and beacons to run the trip.

    Have any of you done the trip before? I haven't, so I am guessing about the terrain based on pictures and descriptions online. Do you think it is class 2 avalanche terrain?

    May 1, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    A good Team !

    April 25, 2013

8 went

Membership dues

CAD20.00 before first trip

This covers: Annual Membership

Payment is accepted using:

  • PayPal
  • Cash or check - “Payment must be made before attending your first trip of the year with CORA. Your Membership will be valid until the next AGM.

Refunds are not offered for this Meetup.

Our Sponsors

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Bill

I started the group because there wasn't any other type of group like this. I've met some great folks in the group who have become close friends and have also met some amazing business owners.

Bill, started New York City Gay Craft Beer Lovers

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy