We'll be doing Gap Peak via Bob Spirko's route. Click here to see Bob Spirko's trip report.
A climbing helmet will be required for this scramble. If you show up with any other type of helmet (bicycle, ski, hockey, hard hat, etc.) you will be sent home in shame.
To make sure I know who's coming and their general level of experience (none is required; I need to know for safety reasons), you can not sign up a guest. Everyone coming must sign up on their own. Please answer all questions during the RSVP process. If you don't I'll bump you to "Not Going" until you provide all the answers.
"Moderate" refers to the level of technical difficulty. The trail is all uphill, even on the way back. You need to be in good shape. Please be realistic about your ability to participate in physical activity of this nature.
Be prepared for cold, windy, snowy weather one minute, clear skies and sun the next. You should have a very full pack on this trip.
I've never done this trip, so it will be an adventure.
- There is a good chance that we could be turned back at any point due to snow, ice and any number of other conditions we encounter. When it comes to safety I'm conservative.
- All participants are expected to act as a responsible member of the group. If you don't intend to act as a member of the group, this trip is not for you. Shared values of this trip include personal responsibility and mutual reliance (we all look out for one another), fun, safety and respect. The organizer is not a guide, but he has the final say in matters of safety. Once the location is announced, please do your best to research the route.
Elevation gain: 1200 m
- Distance: 10 km return
Time on trail: 6 to 8 hours; we may not get home until 7 or 8 p.m. (I like to be home by 5 or 6 though)
- Hiking boots (absolutely mandatory)
- Dress for winter/spring (absolutely mandatory)
- Climbing helmet (absolutely mandatory)...man, I yell a lot
- Headlamp (just in case!)
- Water (absolutely mandatory)
- Hiking poles
- Ice axe
- Cleats/icers/micro-spikes (no crampons)
Driving and Directions: Click here to see Bob Spirko's trip report.
Costs: Members are free. Non-member fee is $5.
Transport: CORA trips start at the trailhead. We meet at the meeting point in Calgary to make organizing trips easier and help ensure we know who's showing up. Please be on time. You may choose to meet us at the trailhead, but please advise us ahead of time.