Where: Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USA
When: July 2, 3, 4, 2013
Who: 6 people
Route: Teton Crest Trail
Distance: 58.0 km
Elevation: 1500m gain
Safety: Weather, snow, bears
Required: First aid kit, backpacking boots, ice axe, micro spikes
READ THE ENTIRE WRITE-UP BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR THIS TRIP!!!
This trip has a manual wait list
Featured in this months BACKPACKER magazine as one of the Grand Traverses in the United States. This trip offers killer views throughout most of the trip. We will start the trip at the Jackson Hole resort and take the tram most way up the mountain. From here we will make our way to the Death Canyon Shelf and camp over night. The passes will likely be snow cover, so ice axe, icers, or crampons will be required. The next day we will make our way to South Forks Cascade campsite for the night. The final day we will work our way down the Cascade Canyon Trail towards Jenny Lake where we will have a vehicle waiting.
Day 1: Teton Village Death Canyon Shelf 23.0 km
Day 2: Death Canyon Shelf South Forks Cascade 19.0 km
Day 3: South Forks Cascade Jenny Lake 16.0 km
It is your responsibility to make sure you have acquired all necessary equipment, clothing, and food for this trip. All outdoor activities involve a certain degree of risk, so it is up to you to be prepared, resilient, self-reliant, responsible, cautious, and aware of surrounding hazards. As well, mountain weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for unforeseen changes. For safety reasons, if you show up for this event unprepared or with inappropriate clothing and or gear you will not be permitted to continue on the trip. Organizers are not guides.
If renting gear please make sure it works and all parts are there.
Members are empowered to take responsibility, gain backcountry experience and knowledge, as this event should be viewed as a learning experience as well as a fun filled trip.
- We are leaving Canada for this event, so you will be required to have a valid passport and documentation. Any difficulties experienced at the border are beyond the scope of the event organizer’s responsibility. You will be required to take care of border issues on your own.
- For safety and financial reasons it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that members acquire backcountry travel insurance for out of country events. Most insurance travel plans do not cover backcountry travel in other countries. MEC offers reasonably price insurance through Co-operators by calling 1 (800)[masked].
- Please contact another member on the trip to share a tent. If you do not wish to share a tent with another member please indicate your intent and include one guest to your RSVP.
- Each individual needs to obtain a permit for the Teton Crest Trail with Death Canyon Shelf and South Forks Cascade campsite. Park passes for each vehicle will also be required. We will be meeting at the Colter Bay park information center 8:00am July 1, 2013 to obtain permits.
- Grand Teton National Park requires that permits be on your possession the duration of the trip. Failing to do so could involve fines and removal from the trip.
- Trip members will be responsible for setting up their own car-pooling prior to the trip start date.
MANDATORY PRE-TRIP MEETING: No meeting for this trip.
At the pre-trip meeting all required permits and or reservations need to be presented to the trip organizer, or you risk being removed from the trip. Any fees incurred by the group leader for your participation in the trip must be paid in full by this date. Fees paid by the group leader will be non- refundable and non-transferable (this trip involves commitment).
If there are any questions I can be contacted at [masked]
PLEASE READ CORA RULES OF CONDUCT