PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE TRIP DESCRIPTION BEFORE SIGNING UP!
This event is only for paid CORA 2013 or 2014 Members
o This is an overnight trip to Bryant Creek Shelter, where we'll ski in and stay in the hut. The relevant information about the shelter can be found in the below links:
o The trip requires having a backcountry permit and wilderness pass. We'll collect these prior to the trip. I'll call the Parks services and ask about the availability of the hut and make reservations. You can either use XC ski (preferable) or snowshoes.
Where: Banff NP through Mt Shark Trailhead
Max: 8-10 people
Distance: 13.5 km (one way)
Elevation Gain: 200 m
Skiing Time: 4 hours (only an estimate).
Difficulty: Easy/Intermediate Ski Terrain
Basic Skill level: A good level of fitness is required to do this outing.
Backcountry Skills: Intermediate-Novice XC Ski ability; Standard First Aid and AST-1 recommended (but not obligatory)
Hazards: Mountains are clearly dangerous places! Make sure you have appropriate clothing, gear, toughness, and conditioning.
Weather Conditions: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/canada/alberta/kananaskis
Driving/Carpooling: The trip starts at the trailhead, but as a convenience to the members, we will carpool in the designated city location
Please reimburse some gas $$ to your drivers.
• Backpack (40+ litres with straps)
• XC ski equipment (snowshoes if snowshoeing)
• Stove and fuel
• 1 dinner, 1 breakfast, snacks, tea/coffee, energy bars, nalgene bottle, water filter, garbage bags
• Sleeping Gear: Sleeping mat and bag (Min -15 C resistance, synthetic or down)
• Winter clothing, down jacket, headlamp, First Aid Kit, hand warmers, sunglasses, camera, fire starter
• Misc -- Book, board game, sense of humor, campfire stories...
• Do not wear the following: Jeans, casual shoes (including sneakers/trainers, work boots), cotton layers, small running packs. These are not appropriate footwear for hiking in the mountains. If you happen to wear jeans and unsuitable footwear, you'll be sent to home in shame :)
Costs: CORA Organizers no longer accept cash at the trailhead! In order to join this event you need to be a CORA 2013 or 2014 member. Payments are done online (the blue link on the left. Type the amount of payment in the box. Smart phones don't have this application, so you need to do this on a PC/Mac).
There will be additional costs such as purchasing backcountry permit and wilderness pass (approx. $10-15 per person).
Cancellation policy: 3 days prior to the trip. Keep in mind that this is not a dating service; you are either committed or not. Depending on your attitude, late cancellations may result in having a "no show" -- unless you come up with a very "juicy" excuse such as UFO abductions, alien invasion, flying boars, Metallica concert, or bad hair.
During the trip, you are expected to follow the trip organizer(s) and stick with the group. However, CORA trip organizer(s) are NOT certified mountain guides, but only experienced hikers volunteering and sharing their knowledge. As such, you are responsible for your own safety and equipment.
YOU WILL BE EXPECTED TO SIGN A TRIP WAIVER!
My cell phone is # [masked]