Where: Hector Lake – Banff National Park
When: February 16, 17, 2013
Who: 10 people
Route: We will make our own trail
Distance: 12 km return
Elevation: 10 m
Difficulty: D4 - moderate
Safety: Weather, temperature, exposure
Equipment: To be discussed at the meeting
Requirements: First aid kit, hand warmers, 2 artificial fire-logs
READ THE ENTIRE WRITE-UP BEFORE SIGNING UP FOR THIS TRIP!!!
Hector Lake is situated on the west side of the Icefield Parkway about 18 km north of the Trans-Canada junction, and is approximately 6 km in from the road. We will be required to cross the Bow River, which should be frozen this time of the year. It’s not my intent to make it to the Hector Lake campsite, but rather make it to the lake to set up camp for the weekend. Route finding skills will be required due to the remoteness of the trip.
We will be leaving Calgary at 9:00 am so please be gassed up, feed and ready to leave.
It is your responsibility to make sure you have acquired all necessary equipment, clothing, and food for this trip. All outdoor activities involve a certain degree of risk, so it is up to you to be prepared, self-reliant, responsible, cautious, and aware of surrounding hazards. As well, mountain weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for unforeseen changes. For safety reasons, if you show up for this event unprepared or with inappropriate clothing and or gear you will not be permitted to continue on the trip.
Remember to check rented gear to see that it is working and that you have all the parts.
It is my intent to empower members to take responsibility and gain backcountry experience and knowledge. This event should be viewed as a learning experience as well as a fun filled trip.
- If you are willing to share a tent please contact another member on the attending list to make arrangements.
- If you do not wish to share a tent with another person please indicate your intent.
- We will be stopping off at Lake Louise to secure random camping permits and wilderness passes the morning of the trip.
- Trip members will be responsible for setting up their own car-pooling prior to the trip start date.
- We will be stopping in Banff for hot springs and lunch after the trip. If you are not interested in participating, please make arrangements to car-pool with others not attending prior to the event start date.
MANDATORY PRE-TRIP MEETING: January 30, 2013
At the meeting all required permits and or reservations need to be presented to the trip organizer, or you risk being removed from the trip. Any fees incurred by the group leader for your participation in the trip must be paid in full by this date. Fees paid by the group leader will be non-refundable and non-transferable (this trip involves commitment).
If you have any questions I can be contacted at [masked]
PLEASE READ CORA RULES OF CONDUCT