This event is for multi-level, beginner to expert, cross-country skiers. We will be try our skills on some of the beginner trails and test out a couple intermediate trails (the trails are regularly groomed and trackset). We will travel at a slow to moderate pace (4 - 6 km/hr), covering around 10km over 4 - 5 hours, including breaks.
NOTE: I am not an instructor or trainer, just a knowledgeable beginner, with some basic ski courses. The idea is to keep it an easy-going day and focus on practicing and improving our skiing skills.
Distance: Approx 10 km return
Skiing Time: 5/6 hours estimate (off the trail by 4:30 pm)
RULES OF CONDUCT: By participating in this CORA activity, you automatically agree to follow the CORA Rules of Conduct. Please refer to the "About" menu tab on the main CORA page for the link to rules of conduct.
TRIP WAIVER AND CONDITIONS: You must sign a trip waiver to attend this event if you are not a paid member. The membership form can be downloaded under the "About" tab. Please read the document and fill in your personal details, but do not sign it. Your organizer will be your witness. Yearly membership fee is $20. Alternately, you may participate as a non-member for $5 for the day along with a completed waiver form.
As a convenience to participants only, we meet at the meeting point in Calgary then car pool from there. Please be on time. You may choose to meet us at the trailhead, but please advise your coordinator ahead of time. Please indicate in your RSVP COMMENTS if you can drive, if necessary. I need to know if we have adequate transportation for all participants. Please reimburse drivers for gas. Gas contributions for drivers to be equally divided among participants in each vehicle.
EQUIPMENT: Weather can change quickly -- sun, rain, wind, hot, or cool -- BE PREPARED.
- Dress for winter! Warm layers (yes you can get very hot skiing and will need to take some items off - then when you stop you will cool very fast...so absolutely NO COTTON! no jeans! or else you can't come on the trip).
- Skis, boots, poles (if you don't have your own skis, we can arrange for the car pool to pass by the Calgary Outdoor Centre where you can rent. You can also rent in advance if you prefer).
- Temperature appropriate wax/corks/scraper if your skis are waxable.
- Liquid to drink and lunch
- Personal first aid kit including blister treatments
- Money to reimburse driver for gas
RECOMMENDED: a camera, a change of clothes for after skiing, patience and sense of humour.
See you on the Trail!.