Please read this before RSVP'ing for this trip:
This trip will be at a Moderate winter pace (read about 250 meters/hour of elevation gain) and the expectation is that the group will stay together. This means that if you are faster you will need to stop regularly and wait for the group to catch up.
If you are not already a Member of the CSMC you will need to pay your Membership Fee BEFORE arriving at the carpool location.
We will meet at Sommerset/Bridlewood Train Station in the EAST parking lot. For those of you who are directionally challenged that is the parking lot closest to the shopping area and MacLeod Trail.
Odlum Ridge is south of Highwood Pass and SW of Mist Mountain. It's a beautiful area a nice scramble/ridge walk and if the skies are clear the views will be spectacular!
In addition, the Winter gate closes December 1.
See these Trip Reports for more details and pictures:
http://bobspirko.ca/Hiking/OdlumRidge/OdlumRidge.html (note we will not be following Bob's route exactly but doing a loop and returning to our start point.)
Note: we will need to cross the creek so come prepared for that.
Elevation gain: 800 metres
Car to car distance: about 12 kms
Car to car time: 6 to 8 hours.
You will not NEED avi gear, but if you have it, bring it and we can practice or do assessments for those who need the A1 (We may be able to do the A2 as well).
Finally, I'm not sure how the creek has changed since the floods earlier this year. If it proves to be to difficult to cross, we will cross the road and head up Mist Ridge instead.
P.S. I need to be back in Calgary by 7ish.
· Ski poles
· Daypack (large enough for spare clothes, lunch & equipment, 30 litre minimum recommended)
· Sunglasses and/or ski goggles
· Thermos flask and/or water bottle (1 - 2 Liters)
· Sun screen
· Pocket knife
· Small Blister and Personal 1st-Aid Kit
· Emergency Bivy Sack
· Lighter/Fire Starter
· Head Lamp
· Ice Axe
· Compass with clinometer
· Snow thermometer
· Synthetic or synthetic/wool blend underwear (top and bottom)
· Warm pants (softshell, insulated, or fleece)
· Warm shirt (not cotton)
· Sweater or fleece jacket
· Insulated jacket or vest
· Waterproof jacket with hood (Gore-Tex or nylon)
· Waterproof pants (Gore-Tex or nylon)
· Socks (wool outer, synthetic blend liner)
· Wool or fleece hat
· Warm gloves and light glove liner