Cambridge Book Club Message Board › Book Suggestions

Book Suggestions

Diane
user 8077668
Jamaica Plain, MA
Post #: 50
Here are some books in my library that are unread as of yet that I'd like to suggest:
Fiction:
Song of Soloman, Toni Morrison (or other Morrison books)
Smila's Sense of Snow, Peter Hoeg
Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards
Timequake (Vonnegut) (I've read MANY Vonnegut, but I'd read them again or others if no one wants this book)
Lost, Gregory McGuire (but I'd read any of his other books based on Wiz of Oz characters)
Bonfire (of the Vanities), Tom Wolfe (again, I'd read other books of his)
Watership Down, Richard Adams
Rabbit at Rest, John Updike (but I'd read other Rabbit books or many of his other books: Witches of Eastwick, Brazil, Afterlife, Pigeon Feathers, Couples)
Duplicate Keys, Jane Smiley (but I'd read any other book of hers)

Non-Fiction
Reviving Ophelia, Mary Pipher, PhD (a lesson about teenage girls that we all as a society can learn from)
You just don't understand, Tanner (how fun would the discussion be in a coed group?!!)
1776 (or John Adams), David McCullough (only 262 pages after illustrations!!)
Multiple Intelligences, Howard Gardner
Emotional Intelligences, Daniel Goleman
Essays of Umberto Eco, or of John Updike

Classics
Sex, Literature, and Censorship, DH Lawrence (considering his books and the time he wrote, it'd be very interestign to look into the mind of DH Lawrence)
Brideshead Revisited, Evelyn Waugh

Here are some other books I've been wanting to read
Lacuna, B.Kingsolver
The Help, Kathryn Stockett
Philipa Gregory books on the Boleyns and Tudors (other than The Other Boleyn Girl, although I'd read that again!)
Garcia Marcez books

Non Fiction
1/2 the sky
Stones to Schools (the followup to "3 cups of tea")
David Sedaris books
Paulo Coehlo books

I don't know if we tend to wait for books to come in paperback or not, but here are some new books I saw recently I'm interested in:
Fiction:
Fannie Flagg's: Still Dreaming about you
Philip ROth: Nemesis
Salman Rushdi: Luka & The Fire of Life

Non Fiction
1st Family, Joseph J Ellis, 320pp
Louisa May Alcott by Cheever, 320pp
Cleopatra by Stacy Schiff, 384pp
Keep the Change, Dublon (an autobiographical, anthropological, and somewhat comic study on tipping in America), 320pp
Create Dangerously: The Immigrant Artist at Work (The Toni Morrison Princeton Lecture Series) (interesting at this time with the DREAM Act currently being discussed), 208pp