Cambridge Mobile App Group Message Board › book suggestion for iOS development?

book suggestion for iOS development?

Michele M.
user 13291105
Lugano, CH
Post #: 2
Dear all,

I need to put my hands into iOS development (mainly iPhone I believe, possibly iPad).
Has anyone an good recommendation about a book to start with it?

I was thinking about this one,­

but please feel free to comment and suggest anything.

Peter H.
user 14111767
Biggleswade, GB
Hi Michele,

I tried two or three books, but the one you've linked to was the one that I found the most useful, albeit for iOS 3.

I seem to remember though that there were a couple of inaccuracies in the book, and one occasion of a slightly dubious practise (relying on the ordering of objects in a UI bundle, or "xib").

There are (or were) forums that go with the book, and I'd recommend reading those alongside it, as there were some good discussions on there when I was learning.

Good luck!

Michele M.
user 13291105
Lugano, CH
Post #: 3
Thanks Peter,

I will remember about the forums, good suggestion!

user 21356021
Cambridge, GB
I have to rave about it is a fantastic resource with some great video tutorials and courses for iOS development.

After writing one app with XCode specifically fo rthe iOS environment I personally am using lynda now for Flex AIR training to write an app for multi platforms (Android, Blackberry and iOS).

Just to throw another development tool at you to confuse you while you choose the right tool for the job, dont rule out PhoneGap which allows development for iOS, Android, Blackberry and Windows mobiles.

Anyways, thats probably the best advice I can give fo a startup.

Good luck with your app.

A former member
Post #: 1
I would recommend phonegap too, although I must say that the phase of tweaking for various devices is quite painful and long unless you are developing for iOS only.

Overall, it's more like web development than desktop development so you might need to read up on responsive design and if you have a print background, start thinking about the impact that having different resolutions and screen sizes will have on the design - light touch is the way to go.