Cambridge Mobile App Group Message Board › starting with HTML5

starting with HTML5

Michele M.
user 13291105
Lugano, CH
Post #: 8
Hello guys,

I am looking for suggestions.
I need to start learning HTML5, does anyone of you have any good link/book to recommend please?

Is this a good starting point?
http://www.w3schools....­

Maybe my background helps:
. experienced OO programmer (C++/Python)
. minor experience with Android
. even less experience with iOS
. almost insignificant experience with Web Development

(Wow, I've just realised I made myself unemployable! :-)

Any hint please?
Thanks for any help!
Michele
Arek S.
user 10430919
Christchurch, GB
Post #: 3
Not exactly on HTML5 but when I started to play with it 'JavaScript: The Good Parts' from Douglas Crockford was essential to come back to JS and start to like it.

w3schools is good for reference but not for getting overview in my opinion.

You will probably need to choose some framework so I will look for book on it not on HTML5 itself.
I like jQuery and jQuery Mobile but there are other frameworks probably just as good as this one.

On this two frameworks I had 'jQuery Pocket Reference' and 'jQuery Mobile' both from O'Reilly - they are OK to start and to learn the main concepts, but you will probably not find all answer there.
The rest you will find on Stackoverflow ;-)

I sure other will have more recommendations.

Best,
Arek
Jag R.
user 9726104
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 2
Michele,

When you say start to learn HTML5 what exactly do you want to learn and how much HTML/CSS/JavaScript do you know already?

I did a presentation for the group about jQuery Mobile a while back.

I mentioned to Tony about doing another talk about using HTML5 in Mobile Apps. If he agrees then it will probably happen in October or November because there's already a speaker for the next meetup.

Personally I'd stay away from anything form the w3 schools...

Cheers,

Jag
James h.
user 54159162
Hitchin, GB
Post #: 1
I am also really interested to hear a talk on HTML 5, it is something my clients are always asking about.
Tony S.
user 11265653
Chelmsford, GB
Post #: 53
Jag - I didn't get a chance to talk to you properly about that on Tuesday, but sounds like a great topic to put on. Let's provisionally say for October and I'll speak to you a bit nearer the time.

I'm running through some www.codeacademy.com courses which are good for introductions to various web and scripting technologies too.
Michele M.
user 13291105
Lugano, CH
Post #: 9
Thank you guys, for your detailed answers.

Arek, thanks for explaining also about framework etc... I think I don't have a clue of what I really need :-)
jQuery for mobile sounds a good place where to start. Thanks.

Jag, I'll look at your presentation, thanks.
Regarding your question... well, I don't know exactly where I am aiming to... (which is the biggest problem probably).
At work I have been asked to look at HTML5 as a cross platform way to interact with our products rather than writing Android or iOS apps.
Mainly I wish to have an HTML5 app that uses a device (tablet/mobile) microphone - this should be feasible - and maybe in future bluetooth 4.0 - which I think is not possible yet from HTML5.

Does this make any sense?
Mik

Michele M.
user 13291105
Lugano, CH
Post #: 10
Jag - I didn't get a chance to talk to you properly about that on Tuesday, but sounds like a great topic to put on. Let's provisionally say for October and I'll speak to you a bit nearer the time.

Tony, I guess James and me are voting in favour of this :-)

I'm running through some www.codeacademy.com courses which are good for introductions to various web and scripting technologies too.

That's a good one, thanks!