addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Cambridge Mobile App Group Message Board › IOS talks to WCF or does it?!

IOS talks to WCF or does it?!

A former member
Post #: 18
Hi All

I know it's been a while since I made it to the CMAG fab meet ups, I found a new Job recently coding away outside of Cambridge. Anyway, my current job involves building iOS Enterprise APPs in the water industry. For those of you that know me I used to work for South Staffordshire Water and now I'm working on things for Thames and Scottish Water. On a current project I'm going to be talking from iOS 7 to a bunch of WCF Services with Basic Authentication over SSL. Its going to take a few weeks for me to get used to the new 7 comms API's (NSURLSession etc) and making soap requests to WCF. I wondered if anyone in the group has recent experience doing this sort of thing and would be willing to Share code. Note this is a requirement I have for next week so it would need to be something you could commit to sooner rather than later.

Kind Regards

Katie
Mark R.
MarkRCambs
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 16
My employer has iOS, Android and mobile web companion apps for our main web-delivered product, and they all make SOAP calls to WCF web services. I don't work on the iOS project, but my understanding is that we built the comms on an open source library. So likely it isn't using those shiny new iOS 7 comms APIs, but it does the job.

I won't be able to share our code with you, but I will chat with the iOS developer on Monday and get back with the shareable details on this thread.
A former member
Post #: 19
Thanks Mark, that would be fab!. Look forward to what you can find out :-)
Mark R.
MarkRCambs
Group Organizer
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 17
Hi Katie,

Our iOS app uses code from http://sudzc.com/...­ This is a service which, given the URL of your WSDL, generates client stub code for your rich data model, in C. You can then write app code that interacts with your model and almost forget that you are communicating with web services.

It's not a free service, but its very cheap. The front page of their site doesn't spell this out, but they charge $30 per year to use the code that they generate for you, and that includes limited support.

We use this as the foundation for a companion mobile app alongside a product for which our customers pay around $2k a year. We have some 10s of 1000s of users on the mobile app, and happy customers, so we think it is $30 well spent.

Best regards,
Mark.
Neil E.
user 11540500
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 3
Hi,

Although Ive not done this specifically, it does look fairly simple once you've worked out what format the request needs to be in as there appear to be quite few.

For constructing xml requests on a recent xml based system Ive been using nicklockwood's XMLDictionary which allows you to build the request as a Dict then convert to the xml string, ( https://github.com/ni...­ ), for the response I tend to prefer TBXML ( http://www.tbxml.co.u...­ ) as it is much faster and robust.

The sudzc option Mark points to looks like it's worth the cost if just to get a handle on the right setup required, you can then apply this to your wish to use newer APIs

Cheers, Neil
A former member
Post #: 20
Hi Guys

Thanks for your help, it appears that www.sudzc.com is no longer supported. Submitting WSDL just generates an error. Currently I'm digging into NSURLSession and the associated framework classes. Loving the other suggestions though, TBXML looks very useful as I have hand cranked XML parsers for iOS in the past and this looks like it will save time.

Any further help would be most appreciated :-)

Katie
Neil E.
user 11540500
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 4
Hi Katie,

I think sudz is working , I did get it to spit out some code, but it did take a few different wdsl urls for it to work. This appears to the main problem in that there are few variants, looks like yours is one of the non compatible ones.

So looks like you'll need to sort this yourself which is often the best way for learning anyway.
AFNetworking (1st install for any project via cocoapods) uses NSURLSession so this might a be good place to start for examples of use, or there's this good http://www.raywenderl...­

TBXML is a great timer saver, I've a small category to speed up common requirements mail me and I'll send it over.

Cheers, Neil