Cambridge Darkroom - Photography Social Message Board › Moonlighting . . . . a topic for a meeting or field trip?

Moonlighting . . . . a topic for a meeting or field trip?

Alan J.
user 48742752
Cambridge, GB
Post #: 2
I have become involved in a recent discussion on measuring light at night and have started branching out the topic to include moonlight. I am sure most of us have taken photos in the town after dark of buildings lit by floodlight or of Christmas decorations. But I am thinking of more rural locations and in moonlight.

My light meter (a Gossen Lunasix 3s) does indicate that there being useful light at an ISO 400 setting.

There is a full moon on Monday night, but with not enough time to organize anything and the weather prospects do not look good with the cold, winds with rain or sleet. But there will be another full moon on 25th March and there may be time to do something.

I seriously think there may be something there to be had and it is a topic seldom discussed. I do have more information on this if this idea is a starter.

Alan Jones
Alec
user 9046502
Comberton, GB
Post #: 4
This is a really interesting idea, and I'd be up for it on 25th March, though I'd post a word of caution from practical experience. Even on a moonlit night, you need a torch to see the settings on your camera, so if a lot of people are involved without careful co-operation, there's a strong chance of picking up someone else's stray torchlight while your shutter is open. This can lead to interesting results but can be annoying if you're after a strictly natural light image. Any ideas how to combat this?