Camp and Quad Message Board › What truck to get for Toy hauler+RZR 1000 4 seater

What truck to get for Toy hauler+RZR 1000 4 seater

A former member
Post #: 1
we are thinking about buying new RZR 1000 4 seater with toy hauler 23Ft (dry weight 6430 lbs).
RZR 1000 4 seater: spec states Dry weight of 1,596 lbs (723.9 kg)
Adding 2 adult and 2 kids with water/food, it seems it will get 10,000Lbs.

We haven't bought any of above but thinking.
Most importantly, what truck should we get to pull all these?? F150 turbo charge vs. F250
Second: i heart RZR 900 x4 seater didn't fit a lot of toy hauler, so I still need to investigate if RZR 1000 4 would fit toy hauler we are shopping for (we saw Sandsport 23FBSL, unsure if it can go in as it had rasing bed on back side that decrease height).

Anyone has RZR 900 4 seater with toy hauler?
let me know what you think.
Thanks.
RVDave
user 117323402
Idaho Falls, ID
Post #: 1
Charles,

The package you are looking to tow is a lot of weight for a 1/2 ton pickup. I would strongly recommend a 3/4 ton truck. A few years ago I got cocky and figured I would be fine towing a trailer at the maximum rating of my 1/2 ton truck. After a couple thousand mile trip, I got to spend several hundred dollars for new gears in the differential. Towing at the maximum rating (or more) just works a truck way too hard.
I now tow with a 3/4 ton diesel and have traveled thousands of miles trouble free and worry free. The diesel gives better power for towing but for your application may be overkill. The 3/4 ton rating however is really important for your family and the loaded toy hauler and all the supplies you have described.

As for the toy-hauler, there are many really nice trailers on the market. Take a look at the Jayco Octane. Really well built and better warranty than most.

Best of luck with your shopping.
Steve
user 5923089
Las Vegas, NV
Post #: 35
Charles, I have towed a Razor 900 in my toy hauler. Back in Sept a friend of mine's truck broke down and he didnt want to leave his Razor in his toy haluer for a couple days while he arranged for tow of both the trailer and the truck. So I brought it back to Vegas for him. I have a 30 ft Attitude with double raising bunks in the back. It just fit under the bunks. With my trailer you can fit two 800 sportsmans and a Rhino in it. I usually towed two Sportsmans. Although they will fit side by bside in the back that made it a little rear heavy and it felt just a tad squirley on the highway. But when I loaded them end to end it tows like they were never there. Never forget you need most of the weight forward of the axles. Mine is a triple axle. My tow vehicle is a 1ton long bed F350 SRW diesel. Albeit more truck than needed to tow my trailer. You not only need the power to easily tow you also need the braking ability and weight of a sturdy tow vehicle to control the heavy trailers. I'd recommend a longer in length 3/4 ton at minimum for the trailer you are considering (Not a standard cab short box). I hardly ever use my trailer these days. Only 5 times in last 3 years .If you think you might like something like mine I'd be willing to sell it. About $10.3K, 2006 toy hauler, 30ft, 3 queen bunks, 2 TVs, 136 gal fresh water,50 black , 50 grey, 4.5KW gen. , 36 gal gas tank with ATV gas pumping station, new load range E tires all around.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thank you for your kind replies.
I've been shopping F250/350 and Ram 2500/3500, still haven't decided but Ram 3500 seems nice.
Yes, I rather choose safety of my family over anything.
I test drove Ram 2500 and 3500 today and Only little issue I have is diesel engine sounds little too loud and feel that I will be bothered by it if I have long distance trip (7-10 hour trips to Colorado etc) which is not going to be that frequent.
--
My wife and I are rethinking all the issues again... 'how often are we going to do this and is it really worth it for amount that we may do?" is the big one. I have to rent storage for toy hauler, etc.

I was waiting for XP1000 but I'm hearing horror stories on XP 1000 x4 seater one that came out. Even on first week, Thanksgiving weekend, I heard so many people had so much issue with clutch belt or something.
And I found I have to buy insurance for it that is like $2500/year. ;(

Well, back to square one. May be I will look into XP 800, as I am not planning crazy ride but only interested in trail riding to get to sight seeing.