Directions/Where to meet Sunday morning:
Yorktown Victory Center : 200 Water Street, Route 1020, Yorktown, 23690
I am sure most of you will use your Garmin, but I wanted to give you the directions on how I will be getting to the meeting location.
1. I-64 East
2. Exit 247 - Yorktown Naval Weapons Station exit
3. Turn left at the stoplight at the exit
4. You will pass the gate for the base (which will be on your left). Keep going straight and follow signs for Yorktown Victory Center (red, white and blue with a flag on it).
5. You will come to a big intersection with stoplights and a 7-11 on the corner to your left, get over in the left hand turning lane. Turn left. (I point this out b/c the Yorktown Victory Center sign is on the right so you may get tricked into staying in the right lane. Don't. Turn at 7-11.
6. You stay on this 2 lane road and drive by houses then a deep wooded area. As you come out of the wooded area- be on alert! You will be turning soon.
7. On your right will be the Yorktown Victory Center entrance. (picture below)
8. Instead of turning right into the center, you are going to go about 10 feet, and turn left.
9. Once you turn left, you will drive less than a 1/4 of a mile and turn right into the parking lot. It sits right on the water.
You have arrived!!
10. If you see the sign "Welcome to the Colonial Parkway" you JUST passed us. Turn around.
My cell is:[masked]-5379. I will be going to WaWa at the Sandston exit to get lunch to bring with me on Sunday morning. If folks want to meet there around 9 and follow, please shoot a message.
Did someone day roadtrip? Want to explore the beautiful Yorktown waterfront and battlefield with Weston?
We haven't done an out of town hike, so I am giving this a try to see what the interest level is this type of adventure. Yorktown is about an hour away from downtown Richmond on I-64. I have scouted out what I think is a visually beautiful hike for us to take in Yorktown. We will meet at the beginning of the Colonial Parkway and head down the Waterman's Boardwalk by the water. From there we will take the trail up onto the battlefield and take in some sights of cannons and an old fortress. From the battlefield we will head into town to see the Liberty Statue and view the old houses from the 1700's. Then it is back down to a very cool secluded beach area for some play time before heading back to the cars.
Yorktown is very dog friendly and a relaxed environment. The hike will be on-leash and we will have some playtime on the beach (off-leash or bring a long lead). I encourage you to pack a lunch as there are picnic tables water-side and on the battlefield if you wish to stay a little longer and enjoy the views. While there are restaurants, there are no "fast-food" places to grab something and take it outside. Unless you count Ben and Jerry's ice cream! There are a few shops along the boardwalk area if you want to do some shopping too. I encourage car-pooling if your dog enjoys company. We can post availability on the Meet Up page of folks who are interested.
I will post clearer directions of where I want us to meet as we get closer, I just wanted to get this out and on the calendar since it is a travel hike. I would like to get at least 6 folks to secure the hike to make it viable for us to go. If not, we will try again later.
Please let me know if you have any questions!