addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Celebrate Atlanta Message Board › Atlanta Rhythm Section Concert- After Party added at Steverino's - Voluntar

Atlanta Rhythm Section Concert- After Party added at Steverino's - Voluntary Charitable Donations for Jennifer

Dave G
dgrove627
Group Organizer
Alpharetta, GA
Dear Celebrate Atlanta Members:

This coming Saturday, Celebrate Atlanta will participate in the Duluth Music Festival, highlighted by a free concert by Atlanta Rhythm Section. Several bands will precede Atlanta Rhythm Section. Atlanta Rhythm Section will come on at 8:30 and should play till 10 pm or later. We have added a post concert party at Steverinos which is about a two minute walk from the concert. Steverinos has both a backyard and a side patio and will be staying open late for Celebrate Atlanta. Members can enjoy food off the menu and special prices of $3.25 for pints of Millers or Yuengling. We will also have $5.50 house wines. This will be a great way to wait for traffic to die down.

The evening band schedule is:

Full Circle - 6 PM

The Jonathan Gale Band - 7 PM

Atlanta Rhythm Section -8:30 PM

More importantly, one of Celebrate Atlanta's organizers, Alicia, is involved in a great cause.  Celebrate Atlanta will have donation jars for VOLUNTARY donations at the concert and at the after party at Steverino's.

I want to tell you something about this cause as it is an important one (as most are). Jennifer Sherk, who resides in Snellville, was diagnosed in May of 1997, at the age of 18, with SLE, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus, an auto immune disease that can affect any part of the body, destroying otherwise perfectly healthy organs. Pain, fatigue and skin rashes are her constant companion. Fifteen years later, with a husband and three children, lupus has attacked her kidneys, leaving Jennifer with very little kidney function. Jennifer works during the day and is tethered to a home dialysis machine at night for 9 hours.

As one with first hand knowledge, dialysis is no panacea. My father had to start dialysis about a year after botched medical tests damaged his kidneys. He endured dialysis for nine years (the average life span on dialysis treatment is about 5 years), constant operations to find new places to place stents as the others would stop working, and always ill. In the summer of 2005, he said he had endured enough and decided to stop dialysis, knowing that this would be his death sentence. My sisters came in from NY and Ohio to say their goodbyes and with myself, my ex-wife and my two younger children holding his hand he passed away about a week after stopping treatment. My point is that dialysis is not the answer, it is a way to get to the point when a kidney becomes available for transplant (my father was not eligible for a transplant).

Linda, one of our organizers and her daughter also suffer from Lupus as does one of my paralegals, Anita. That is why I always wear a wristband for Lupus and why rather than trade in my cars; I donate them with the donation going to the kidney foundation.

Now back to Jennifer. She has to work full time as a Resident Services Director for a local assisted living center and goes home each night and hooks up her dialysis machine. She and her husband own a home and making the mortgage payments is becoming more and more difficult due to medical bills. Their car, a 1990 Subaru legacy is constantly in need of repair and their only means of transportation for the family of five. Now, Jennifer's father is battling terminal liver cancer.

An average kidney transplant costs $250,000 and even with insurance coverage, she and her family face considerable medical expenses. Her cousin is being tested and has offered a kidney for Jennifer if she matches, so there is hope. However, to cover non covered expenses, about $25,000 is needed. The kidney foundation will match the first $10,000 in donations so the family is trying to raise $15,000. As of July, 2012, $4,500 has been donated so $10,500 is still needed.

At Saturday's concert as well as at the post concert party at Steverinos, Celebrate Atlanta will have a donation jar for members to make VOLUNTARILY donations to help Jennifer. You can also donate by putting a check in the jar. Please make checks out to Georgia Transplant Foundation with a memo noting "In honor of Jennifer Sherk."  Celebrate Atlanta will order pizza and provide it to members. In lieu of making donations to cover our pizza costs (as we do at Norcross Concerts) all of your donations for pizza will be provided to this great cause.

Finally, sadly member Debbie Cohen's mother passed away this afternoon in Hendersonville, N.C. Condolences to Debbie, Lon and Debbie's family.

Thanks

Dave G, Alicia and all the Celebrate Atlanta Organizers.