My beloved brothers and sisters,
Here we are at last with our very much anticipated follow up to the Celebrate Your Voice™ taster session. This is now a weekly thing, and I am very proud indeed!
I am most excited to be able to bring to you this workshop, as it comes out of a big passion of mine and out of the belief that singing, just like dancing and other forms of art and self expression is something that heals and transforms.
The idea is something that is evolving, singing lessons and groups are sprouting wherever I look and this is no coincidence, sign of the times ;) But I truly believe that after years of seeing different approaches and singing in different groups and bands, years of thinking and brewing my own ideas over time, contrasting them with other musicians and no small amount of trial and error, I honestly believe that what I bring to you is different, it is unique and that it is transforming.
CELEBRATE YOUR VOICE - FAQ
✿ So what is this exactly?
A singing encounter, musicians and non-musicians included. We place emphasis on making sound as a conscious act for being in the present moment. At the same time being trained musicians we approach sound MUSICALLY. What I mean to say is that
• There are SONGS to learn, so it is not just chanting Om-ing or humming ad-lib. Although there are songs and times where there's definitely room for that, there is MORE. So yes, expect a 'do whatyou feel' vibe, but also songs to be learnt, with some memorizing work involved over a number of sessions. Not unlike music lessons. But again not the same. Yet learning every one of the songs and chants is worth every bit of the effort as they are carefully and lovingly selected for their POWER :) Their effect is immediate, you won't be disappointed!
• There are often also different PARTS for different people at a time, or 'harmonies' and this is really central of these workshops and of this method). This way, while we place the emphasis on conscious sound, being present and honoring the divine gift of our voices both with humility and awe, there is also a technical challenge, just like with anything! Particularly if this is a new skill to you, but as anyone who's done harmony singing will tell you, the hard work pays off when you get it right and it literally gives you goose bumps! You feel your heart opening and your spirit lifting as you sing with other human beings. You atune to your higher self and remember at least some of your truth, such is the power of music. The benefits are instantly noticeable.
✿ Is this like a choir then?
No. It is similar to a choir in some respects, but it is not a choir. I have been part of many choirs and singing groups and I know that my approach is different. We share some of the same rehearsal techniques and routines with choirs, but the overall approach is completely something else. If anything it is closer to doo-wop/barbershop groups, but it is not that either. It also overlaps with tribal singing.
✿ Can it possibly be a conscious activity when there are goals and measurable outcomes?
I believe so, I have been making and teaching music for years, and I believe one can have goals and outcomes and at the same time have regard for everybody's self esteem, without the need for condescending classroom humiliation. None of that here!!! I also believe in mixed ability groups, while at the same time giving each person a challenge no bigger than their bite size. Something to help them make musical progress, big enough for it to be a challenge but never above their current ability.And most of all, singing really is a magical thing, it is one of our biggest gifts and like most things, when done CONSCIOUSLY it takes on whole other dimension(s), pardon the pun ;)
✿ Is it all just technical, left brain work then?
Not at all. Not if I have anything to say.No, singing is a JOY, a pleasure and our birthright, and it is definitely fun! I honestly believe one can take on technical challenges and engage one's brain while at the same time being inside one's heart, feeling sound, both our own and that of our fellow singers and and embodying the music in a complete state of bliss, not only after technical challenges are overcome but also throughout the whole process.
Singing is after all one of the oldest forms of communality in societies and tribes across the world.
This should answer most of your questions, but if you want to know more by all means inbox me, or even better come for a session and make up your own mind.
There'll be information and updates on this wall anyhow so watch this space! :D
CELEBRATE YOUR VOICE - THE WORKSHOP
I invite you to a celebration of the human voice. When you speak, when you hum or say a vowel, in short when you make a SOUND, all your fibers vibrate, every single cell in your body, 5 trillion of them, which is really something!
If you don’t believe it take my word for it ;) ALL your cavities vibrate. Your voice is YOUR SOUND, unique, like a snowflake, and using it is your divine birthright.
We wish to encourage you to reconnect and rediscover the truth and the purity of a harmonious sound. Which brings me to MUSIC. How can you experience such perfection without being trained for years by an expert? This is what these workshops are intended to give you a taste of.
The course covers:
• Harmony: what is a harmonious sound?
• Sacred Geometry in music: the Golden Mean, Fibbonaci Series, Pi, and so on.
• Sacred sounds & Divine frequencies: Sacred Solfeggio, Subtle Bodies/Chakra healing (for those with certain religious beliefs or bias against Eastern wisdom, let's just say there is enough scientific evidence to show that some specific frequencies have tremendous effect, physiological changes and benefits).
In our sessions we will take time to explore
• Blessing space with intention
• Sound as a tool for awareness and BEING in the present.
• Sing with THE TRIBE: human contact and cocreation as a way to achieve Unity.
• Explore music making in smaller groups to expand awareness and reach instant bliss and relaxation.
• Learning songs, parts, putting it together and aspects such as technique, blend, texture, improvisation, etc.
PRICE: 2 OPTIONS AVAILABLE
• £60 for a SIX WEEK BLOCK COURSE (£12 saving). This option is recommended as the sessions build up on the work of previous weeks, although one-off sessions still welcome.
• £12 for each ONE-OFF SESSION. Concessions available if you are currently on low income. Inbox me for details.
LIMITED SPACE, SECURE YOUR PLACE BUYING A TICKET HERE:
Our Venue is the Islington Arts Factory, N7 0SF (see event wall for details).