add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Message Board › Friedman's Deli - YUM!

Friedman's Deli - YUM!

ben c.
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 422
Hey everyone - although it isn't breaking any new ground, I wanted to mention that I had lunch at Friedman's Deli yesterday and it was DELICIOUS! My brisket sandwich on grainless baker seedless rye was fantastic - it gave me Arby's flashbacks...but in a good way. A juicy pile of beefy goodness on some super soft GF toast. Actually, the Gus' Pickles were a standout for me too, especially the half-sours.

No gluten-related problems to report whatsoever! When I arrived, to my surprise, Vanessa Phillips was there waitressing and hosting she also made sure my order was 100% safe. They currently don't have a GF menu or any mention of GF options written anywhere I could see...although clearly everyone including Vanessa, the other waitress and the manager were totally aware of and proud of the GF offerings. I'd recommend strongly that they either print a stack of cheap 1-fold GF menus at kinkos or update the paper Friedman's menu's with a "GF bread" option for the sandwiches, Peters' Diner style.

Also there wasn't much GF other than potato salad I could have with my sandwich -- would have loved a bag of potato chips which are easy to keep GF safely.

But...isn't life with Celiac Disease defined by some level of yearning? Overall, I was thrilled with my sandwich and will definitely pop in for lunch whenever I can...
A former member
Post #: 3
Hi Ben,

Where is Friedman's Deli Located?
ben c.
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 423
Hey there! It's in the Chelsea Market, which is between 9th & 10th Ave and 15th & 16th St in Chelsea...or you can check it out by address:

75 9th Ave
New York, NY 10011
(212) 929-7100

Coincidentally, the Chelsea Market building is now home to 4 restaurants that cater to GF diners:

- Friedman's Deli (GF Bread/Sandwiches)
- Hale & Hearty Soup (GF Soups - see the list in the Files section of this board)
- Morimoto (Iron Chef sushi restaurant w/ GF soy sauce)
- Buddakan (Have several dishes that can be ordered GF, such as the Lobster Fried Rice)

It's also the headquarters of the Food Network, as well as the headquarters of Hale & Hearty Soup, among other things...and it's a cool place to check out!
A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks Ben, I appreciate the information. I am new and always keeping my eyes opens for GF places to eat that are GOOD. I work in the city (Midtown) and am searching for good places for lunch. The Chelsea Market sounds great but a bit of a trip for lunchtime. I will have to go there on the weekend and give it a try.
A former member
Post #: 2
Thanks for this information! I will definitely check it out!
user 3585951
New York, NY
Post #: 39
Glad to hear you also enjoyed, Ben. When I was in a few weeks ago, my sandwich was excellent.

One note - when I was there, I spoke to a man who seemed to be in charge and he gave me a one-page gf menu on plain, white copy paper. If I recall correctly, he seemed to have a bunch in a wooden cabinet in the back of the restaurant, underneath what appeared to be a terminal where orders were entered.
ben c.
Jersey City, NJ
Post #: 425
This just in from Vanessa: the Friendman's menu (at least the online one, but possibly physical ones too) DOES in fact specify GF bread as an option for sandwiches! There are also a handful of additional GF options that I didn't know about when I was there that can probably be pretty easily ascertained as being naturally GF or by asking someone about when you are there (eg, mashed potatoes)...

Here is a link to the Friedman's menu:­

They even have Matzoh Brei for your non-celiac friends to cruelly enjoy while you watch... =)
user 2351600
New York, NY
Post #: 18
I second Ben's seal of approval. Friedman's deli is great! I've been twice and haven't had any problems whatsoever. We need more people like Vanessa to train staff in celiac-friendly prep and cooking procedures!
Group Organizer
Astoria, NY
Post #: 385
Has anyone been to Friedman's lately? I found an article online from about a month ago that said they were going 100% gluten-free. I think this would be the first 100% gluten-free establishment in NYC if it does go gf. Awesome move for Friedman's!

A former member
Post #: 176
i know it is on 79 5th avenue but what street it is on? I definitely want to try it