addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

New York City Celiac Disease Meetup Message Board › Elevated Gliadin IGG

Elevated Gliadin IGG

A former member
Post #: 2
What does that mean? If all the other tests are normal?
My doctor, Suzanne Lewis at the Celiac Disease Center, has failed to discuss my test results with me. Instead, she simply suggests I go see the nutritionist (whom I've already seen, but I can't tell her that because I can't get her on the phone!!!! And I had this test 2 months ago!!!!)
Horrible.
A former member
Post #: 2
i don't know what the other tests are that you are speaking about; as far as i am concerned , a positive IgG with symptoms consistent are celiac (of course you may another gastrointestinal problem such as IgE food allergy, colitis, etc.); not everyone makes an IgA antibody (some people have a genetic problem and lack the ability to make it); the transglutaminase is a very specific test denoting injury to the small intestine but it is not very sensitive amd is only positive in 5% of people who actually have the disease; if you have celiac you may not eat ANY gluten; if you are totally gluten free your IgG should go down over time; if it becomes normal and you still have symptoms it is time to look for second diagnosis in addition to the celiac
Mo T.
user 2421973
Hackensack, NJ
Post #: 71
Cindy,
In this country Doctors are traditionally trained to interpret two abnormally elevated celiac antibodies as suspicious for Celiac Disease. If only one is elevated (as in your case) they often brush it off as "lab error" or an insignificant finding. I don't agree with this. I have met numerous individuals who have only had one of the antibodies end up elevated but have many of the symptoms of Celiac. When they went gluten-free the symptoms resolved and the antibody came back to normal levels. I agree with Carl. If you have the symptoms I would consider the diagnosis of CD. You may want to have a proper work-up done where a GI doc performs an endoscopy/biopsy. This is considered the gold-standard of diagnosis however it is not 100% and can sometimes miss it as well. The other option is to simply go gluten-free for 4-6 months and see if your symptoms resolve and the antibody goes back to normal levels.

Good luck,
Mo
A former member
Post #: 3
I actually had a biopsy which was positive in 2005 and after going gf for a year a follow-up biopsy that was clean. But in all my follow-up testing, the IGG never went totally down. However, I have read some confusing stuff that that test has a lot of false positives so isn't reliable, so I am so confused!!!!
A former member
Post #: 3
Listen, there can always be false positives but i am suspicious that there still is gluten in your diet; the biopsy is not pathognomonic of the disease - in other words other medical conditions can cause the same pathology of increased lymphocytes in the lamina propria as well as loss of villi such as tropical sprue (there are other diseases also); so the biopsy has to be interpreted in light of the clinical findings as well as an antibody test showing a reaction to gluten; supposing you have the same pathology on biopsy but negative gluten antibodies - then you would have to consider another disease such as tropical sprue or other conditions; I hope that explains it - by the way I am a doctor and probably more knowledgeble on the subject than most gastroenterologists
A former member
Post #: 5
What other things can cause an elevated gliadin igg? is there anything?
Liana
user 9178236
New York, NY
Post #: 7
I had a skin test which resulted in my having low tolerance to wheat,gluten,soy... I now wonder if the skin test per se would be enough to warrant a diagnosis of Celiac disease?

my symptoms were migraine headaches and irritable bowels.
This was done in March 2009, I've been gluten free since,
the migraines are better, but now and then they try
to seep through! I wonder if an endoscopy would be a good idea!
Liana
A former member
Post #: 4
a skin test cannot warrant a diagnosis of celiac disease; a skin tests checks for IgE allergic reactions; celiac disease is not caused by an IgE reaction causing the release of histamine; it is caused by a different problem in the immune system
A former member
Post #: 5
it has been reported that people with crohn's disease can have a false positive IgG gliadin antibody; however there are other screening tests for this such as aniti-saccromyces IgG and IgA antibodies;