1. Don't make it your story.
2. Be kind (no offensive terms).
3. Use constructive criticism and positive feedback.
4. Be brief with your critique (written and verbal), 10 minute critique, 10 minute rebuttal.
5. Use concrete examples of problems (and how to fix them).
6. Correct any grammar or spelling (if you can determine trends, write them down in a summary page), but do not discuss each line item.
7. Read the entire piece.
8. Look for continuity and missing action.
9. You have an opt out option! If you cannot or will not be able to critique this piece, you may do so with no explanation required.
10. Know the editing marks and use them (if providing optional hardcopy).