align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Central Florida Raspberry Pi Users Group Message Board Central Florida Raspberry Pi Users Group Discussion Forum › GPIO Cabling for making a single relay driver?

GPIO Cabling for making a single relay driver?

greg
integrator
Orlando, FL
Post #: 1
Hello CFL RPiUG,

Just got our first Pi in the mail today, already installed rasbian, apache, and php, and wrote simple GPIO controller interface code in html/php.

My 14 yr old son and I are making a security-gate opener controller for our driveway with the Pi (the underground wire must have eroded, so we'll go wireless, we'll buy heatsinks, hope the Pi can handle the Oviedo heat in summer 24/7/365...).

It seems like there are some great local Pi resources and knowledge within this group, we're looking for a way to do hardware inferace to a single set of GPIO pins, do we have to buy a big breakout cable/etc.? We're trying to keep it very compact.

So, basically just need to know best way to physically interface this, and I assume the best interconnection means will be to use a transistor (from GPIO port) to drive the relay(?), need to find a breadboard i guess(?) I have a sainsmart 5v relay ordered from china a week ago, but open to better suggestions...

(i.e.
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio4/value # after export/out of course
)

I just thought I'd post this question, my son (an avid programmer) and I would like to start coming to some CFL-RPiUG events if they are suitable for a 14 yr old (some late night weekday meetings in past precluded our attendance).

Thanks in advance, Greg
Enrique G.
Enrique_Gomez
Orlando, FL
Post #: 1
If the time of the day is preventing you and your son to mingle with software and hardware hackers, consider going to Leap Installfest in Winter Park, they meet every first Saturday of the month. The address is Winter Park Christian Church, 760 N. Lakemont Ave., Orlando, FL 32792. Next date: October 5th, 2013 from 9 am to 5 pm. Cyber Security from 9 am to 12 pm.

They play with Open Source Software and Open Hardware, they are also mentoring a group of High School kids in a National competition of Cyber Security, your kid will have plenty of peers to play with.