addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Central Florida Raw Food Connection Message Board › Green Smoothie For Life!!!!!!

Green Smoothie For Life!!!!!!

Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 238
After last weeks class of many wonderful sprouts I had loads of sprout green smoothies this week. Here is a spin off the classes Sprouted Wonder.

2 cups of sprouts (your choice, please don't measure, this is a guesstimate)
1 handful of spinach
2 cups cut pineapple
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
minimal water, best in form of ice to cool just a bit.

Blend away and enjoy!
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 239
This weeks special is white marsh grapefruit off the back yard tree (juice of three), with a complete fat bunch of spinach, 10-12 romaine leaves and a heaping spoonful of royal jelly and hunk of ginger.....hope you enjoy!!!!!!!!
A former member
Post #: 205
Hey just wondering what type of blender is everyone using. Are you using a juicer to make these smoothies? Do I have to go out and buy a new electronic? All I own is the old school blender. Not sure if it would make the smoothies the proper consistency.

Thanks! Jennifer
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 242
Jenn,

Keep your old school blender and whirl away. Just make sure you have water or other liquid enough to cover the blades plus a inch and get going. Too much liquid will not allow the blend to a smooth consistency. I'll explain more at the class tomorrow ( I see you are coming).
Cris
CrisField
Orlando, FL
Post #: 1
Hey just wondering what type of blender is everyone using. Are you using a juicer to make these smoothies? Do I have to go out and buy a new electronic? All I own is the old school blender. Not sure if it would make the smoothies the proper consistency.

Thanks! Jennifer

I wanted to be sure that I was going to stick with the green smoothies before laying out all that cash so I used my Oster blender until my income tax refund came in early February. Then I bought a VitaMix. I love it! My Oster did okay but the VitaMix kicks butt! I like that the container is twice the size so I can share green smoothies with my boyfriend. Don't let the blender keep you from green smoothies. They take a little longer and aren't quite so smooth but the regular blenders will make green smoothies.

PS: Don't use a juicer to make smoothies or you'll lose all that wonderful fiber.
A former member
Post #: 5
I bought a Vita-Mix in 2006 because of it's high quality and (relative) quietness to other mixers. At first I would use it just for a light dinner drink, but now I find it's more convenient for breakfast - just toss in the ingredients and go! It's more than unlikely that I'd sit down to a large raw breakfast for 45 minutes but I can get the same nutrition in a ten minute drink.

I also used to have problems with blood sugar fluctuations, especially when I used a juicer, until I read the recommendation to start the day with more of a veggie juice smoothie - and that seems to work very well. It gives me a great start on the day with a lot of nutrition.

I'm an opportunistic Vita-Mixer: I choose whatever looks good in the fridge! O.K., I'll admit - sometimes this can lead to unpleasant surprises in taste but we've got to learn somehow!

Enjoy!

----------------------------------
Here's a basic recipe I use:

12 or so GOJI BERRIES
1/4-1/2 handful RAISINS
4 or so PITTED DATES

1/2-1 cup WATER

MIX these ingredients on med/high-high until it sounds/looks smooth...

Add:

2 med/large CARROTS
1 peeled APPLE (or ORANGE)
2-3 stalks CELERY
2 med/large TOMATOES

1/2 LB or more SPINACH to desired texture/consistency

Blend to desired consistency - adding more water or spinach, as needed.
---------------------------------

Depending upon what's in my fridge I may substitute MANGO or PINEAPPLE for the APPLE/ORANGE.

I also add HEMP PROTEIN POWDER from time to time.

For a little spice, later in the day, I'll add a pinch of SALT and a clove of GARLIC.

I've also tried substituting PITTED PRUNES for the RAISINS or PITTED DATES but they don't blend very well and often leave hard pieces in the smoothie.
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 282
Thanks for the post you guy's, smoothie recipes are always needed. People need to read through them until they can see themselves doing and creating them, sometimes it takes a while before they can relate to the ingredients.
A former member
Post #: 474
Today's Organic Green Smoothie:

6 kale leaves
1 banana
1 orange (peeled, not seeded)
1/4 cup goji berries (soaked overnight, add soak water to smoothie)
meat from 1 baby Thai coconut
1 tsp maca
1 packet stevia (leave out of use a squirt of agave or other sweetie)
2 T hemp seeds
pinch sea salt

Whizzzzzzzzzzz with water (or coconut water)
Yummmmmmm!!!!biggrin
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 284
WOW! There's some power it that drink! What do you need to accomplish today Missy! I'm sure you can do it! I'm trying tomorrow, leaving out only the stevia....I've got a heavy day scheduled tomorrow....heavy and long!

Thanks Melissa,
Peace!

Once again, glad to have you here!
Cris
CrisField
Orlando, FL
Post #: 4
Here are my favorite savory smoothies:

Cris' Guacamole Smoothie

1 avocado
1 medium tomatillo
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and ?de-veined?
1 green onion
1 clove garlic
juice of 1/2 lime
fresh cilantro to taste
cumin to taste
2 cups water
greens to bring to 32 - 40 oz capacity
# # #

Cris' V-8 or 7 or 10 Smoothie

1 medium tomato
1/4 stalk celery
1/4 cucumber