align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfullheartglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Central Florida Raw Food Connection Message Board › Fruit Cake Recipe

Fruit Cake Recipe

Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 21
Sorry it took so long to post. I have just been bummed out with such mixed reactions to "Fruit Cake". Did you know that there is a sign at Tiajuana Flats that says fruit cake blows. I guess you either love it or hate it. I simply love it and for those of you that do too. Here is the recipe.

Fruit Cake

2 cups nuts/ choice (soaked 8 hours, drained, rinsed and dehydrated)
( for the pot luck I used 1 cup pecans and 1 cup walnuts)
grind these down to a meal

1 cup chopped dates

1 teaspoon orange zest

2 cups of apricots, raisins, mango, papaya, and pineapple,
cut your dried fruits and just wet gently with your hands or spray with 1 wide sweep.
spices: cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, clove, allspice
*I have a mix that I have blended together that I continuously use during the Thanksgiving to Christmas holiday and then I just spoon from the blend. If you don't have that blend they are in the order of volume cinnamon being 1 teaspoon

1/2 cup coconut

dash of pepper and salt

Mix the ground nuts with the dates and the zest in the food processor. Pour into a bowl. Mix in the fuit mix with a knife or pastry blender.

Add in the coconut and dash of salt and pepper

coarse chop 1 more cup of walnuts and mix in. Check your mixture to see if it holds together well if so press into a coconut floured pyrex dish and chill for an hour. If it doesn't hold well add about 3-4 Tablespoons of honey or agave nectar and press into your coconut floured pyrex dish.

This is yummy to me!!! I served it with the nut nog we had at the last class for a party I did last night. Chai and Fruit Fun!!!
A former member
Post #: 11
No need to be bummed, traditional fruit cake might "blow" ... but not the RAW version by Chef Olive!!! Thanks Olive, this recipe really is awesome!
A former member
Post #: 13
Here, here, pam!

I received a factory-made fruit cake as a second-hand gift once, and it was a pitiful brick of English quasi-food with a half-life of 50 years. It quickly became a third-hand gift, and probably made its way to the landfill after that.

Chef Olive's food is nothing of the sort! (to borrow an old English phrase) Tijuana Flats plays on pop-culture images like that, so pay them no heed! They're just trying to sell gift cards (and save us from factory-made fruitcake).

It's easy to forget the origins of banana bread and that sort of food. Once upon a time we didn't have fresh fruit from all corners of the world available every day of the year. We had to make do with semi-rotten food sometimes. The only way to eat semi-rotten food is to cook the bacteria, fungi and other critters out of it (or learn to digest the critters). ...or you can turn them into an ale or wine, but that's a different history lesson.

Start your meals with edible ingredients, and the results will be edible! That's a luxury most of us have nowadays.
A former member
Post #: 28
Celebrating here! Wa-hoo!

Finally- Chef Olive's "Famous Fruitcake" recipe!
Oh yea, oh yea! Time of rejoicing!!!
This is one of her best...
Really! You gotta try it!
Just once...
biggrin