Central Florida Raw Food Connection Message Board › Green Smoothie For Life!!!!!!

Green Smoothie For Life!!!!!!

Lori
Orlando, FL
Post #: 30
Post your favorite Green Smoothies Here for all to see, make and enjoy! It means life to us all!
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 28
For the love of Green Smoothies!!!!!

Here's Montell Williams one to start

Ingredients
2 ripe organic bananas, peeled
1 large organic orange, peeled leaving pith and seeds intact
1 organic mango, skinned
1 tablespoon Light Agave Nectar
2 heads of dark green organic romaine lettuce, washed
purified water
pinch of Celtic Sea Salt
Recipe Categories:

Family Favorites
Breakfast
Drinks

--------------------------------------­ ----------------------------------------­ --

Yields: 1 quart per day

--------------------------------------­ ----------------------------------------­ --

Preparation
In the Vitamix container add bananas, orange, and mango. Add 1 tablespoon of agave nectar. Then, using approximately 2 full heads of washed dark green Romaine lettuce, stuff and pack lettuce leaves on top of the fruit until they reach the MAX FILL line on the container. Then, fill the container with purified water to the MAX FILL line. Add a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt.
Cover and blend for 20 seconds until smooth. Serve immediately. Smoothie keeps for a few days in the refrigerator.

Here is Montel William's Green Smoothie - Revised by Raw Food, Right Now!

Ingredients:
2 ripe organic bananas, peeled and cut into chunks
1 large organic orange, peeled leaving pith and seeds intact
1 large organic mango or 2 small organic mangoes, skinned
2 heads of dark green organic romaine lettuce washed in cool water OR
1 big bunch of organic baby spinach, washed in cool water
purified water, approximately 1 - 1.5 cups

Preparation:

In the Vitamix container add bananas. Place the orange on top of the bananas. Cut the mango and place on top. Add one cup of water. Place lid on container and turn on the Vitamix. Blend the fruit for 15 - 30 seconds, or until well blended. Then place the desired amount of greens into the container. Turn the Vitamix back on and blend for another 15 - 30 seconds, or until the greens appear well blended.

Pour into large smoothie container (aka Nalgene) or other large glass. Serve immediately.

Smoothie keeps up to 12 hours in the refrigerator.

Yields 1 quart

You'll see it's just a slight variation. Try to vary your smoothies to prevent boredom. Use this board to do just that and tell others what you did.

Peace Peeps!
Olive

Edited by Chef Olive on Jan 14, 2008 at 10:20 AM

This was my drink for the day..... I am out of agave so I added a date instead and found it very tasty. On to grapefruits tomorrow .... my tree is loaded and I'm craving them. Cheers peeps!!!!

Peace,
Olive
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 39
HEY PEEPS,

THIS IS A GREAT BEGINNING FOR THE GREENS SMOOTHIE POSTING. I PROMOTE THIS AVIDLY AND FEEL WE SHOULD ALL MENTION SOME GOOD ONES WHEN WE MAKE THEM. I SURE HOPE I WON'T BE THE ONLY ONE POSTING. WE ALL ARE DRINKING RIGHT!!!!!
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 40
YESTERDAY MORNING I WAS PUSHED FOR TIME AND REMEMBERED I HAD SOME OF THE CRANBERRY/DATE BLEND LEFT FROM THE POT LUCK AND POURED ABOUT 1/2 CUP OF THE BLEND IN THE BLENDER ALONG WITH I HEAD OF ROMAINE AND 1/2 OF A BUNCH OF SPINACH, AND A KALE LEAF. SQUEEZED 2 ORANGES AND BLENDED AWAY. WOW OH WOW!!!! YUMMY!!!!!

TODAY I DID THE SAME WITH A HAND FULL OF CRANBERRIES AND A HAND FULL OF PRUNES. I ADDED A FULL BUNCH OF SPINACH. I FEEL A CRAN WEEK IN THE MAKING. OH YEAH!!!!!!

WHAT ARE YOU DRINKING???
Charlotte C.
charlotc
Orlando, FL
Post #: 36
I've been drinking green smoothies for breakfast for several months now... it sounded so odd at first, but once I tried it I was amazed at how delicious it really is!!!

I blend mine a little differently, because I don't have a powerful blender. I put the greens in first, with a little water (normally kale or collards, or romaine, or other dark green leaves). I blend this to a liquid. Then I add in a few pieces of fruit, usually 2 or 3, such as oranges, apples, pears, kiwis, grapes, pineapples, berries, whatever. I believe that it is important to have a variety of foods, so my aim is not to eat the exact same thing every single day. Each fruit has its own specialty nutrients, and by eating as wide a variety as possible during the week I think I am giving my body better and more useful building blocks to keep me healthy!!!

I normally drop in the bannana last, because it is so soft -- it doesn't need much blending. And Olive, I had some cranberries and blueberries the other day. Yummy Yummy smile

I have also begun eating more "soups" lately because of the great success with the green smoothies. Blending the food breaks down the cell walls of the vegetables which is what makes the nutrients more attainable, particularly in something tough like greens, so I figured I could use the same principle with meals that are not-so-sweet. I have been throwing together a variety of different goodies, mostly with a tomato base: I add garlic, red bell pepper, cilantro, basil, parsley, celery, greens -- not necessarily all of them, but usually I always use at least 2 or 3 of the fresh herbs I mentioned. The soy sauce that you (Olive) recommend is good for seasoning. I have also used curry powder (I like spicy stuff). A little olive oil is good too -- and usually I include sun-dried tomatoes. Oh, and I also like to throw in some mushrooms and onions or leeks at the end, and pulse them so that they are still in little chewable bites. I normally serve it over a chopped avocado half in the bowl. I have had this for breakfast on occasion... I think it's delicious!!
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 55
OK PEOPLE, DON'T MAKE ME THE ONLY ONE DRINKING GREEN SMOOTHIES. THANKS CHARLOTTE FOR BREAKING THINGS UP A BIT.
SO TRUE SAID YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY SWITCH UP ON THE DRINKS IN ORDER TO GET A WIDE ARRAY OF NUTRIENTS. I KNOW I SAY IT OFTEN BUT IT'S NEVER SAID TOO MUCH. WE JUST GET THE POINT ACROSS.

THIS WEEK I HAD ORGANIC GREEN GRAPES AND I GOT A DEAL ON KIWI (NOT ORGANIC - ALSO NOT IN OUR TOP 12 THAT NEED TO BE) WELL I HAVE BEEN LOADING THE BLENDER WITH GRAPES, KIWI AND ROMAINE AND BOK CHOY. MAN BESIDES GREAT TASTING IT IS BEAUTIFUL. I JUST HAVE TO PUT IT IN A NICE GLASS. I, CAN EVEN SIP IT!!!! DRINK UP !!!

I ALSO NOW HAVE THE TOP AND LOW12 AS A CARRY CARD.... ASK ME AT THE NEXT EVENT.

PEACE,
OLIVE
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 90
I know more people are drinking Green Smoothies.... why aren't you posting!!!

My goodie for yesterday

3 ripe kiwi
4 stalks of celery
2 hands full of sunflower sprouts
1 hand full of spinach
2 hands full of grapes
1 banana

Blend Away!!!! YUMMY!!!!!!
Tesha
highlyfavored2
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 50
I am so boring, I make the same green smoothie everyday:

1 banana
1 or 2 handfuls of spinach or mixed greens
1 apple ( bought some pears last night and used that instead this morning)
1 bunch of parsley
1 or 2 stalks of celery

I place a handful of ice but recently heard that you shouldn't do that. Does anyone agree with that?
Chef O.
o-raw
Group Organizer
Winter Park, FL
Post #: 93
Are you speaking in reference of the ice? I can only think of if the ice is not filtered, or if they are speaking in reference to the body's on having to reduce the cool to get the benefit. I clean and freeze fruit often for the fast food effect. Frozen banana, nectarine, kiwi, cherries, grapes,etc. I can't believe how many people have something ti critique about us when they are eating a SAD lifestyle. Happy for your post girlfriend!!

Olive

ps: keep the parsley it's great for you. also read Charlotte's post on the using of other fruits and veggies to get a glorious array of nutrition benefits.
Tesha
highlyfavored2
Jacksonville, FL
Post #: 52
Are you speaking in reference of the ice? I can only think of if the ice is not filtered, or if they are speaking in reference to the body's on having to reduce the cool to get the benefit. I clean and freeze fruit often for the fast food effect. Frozen banana, nectarine, kiwi, cherries, grapes,etc. I can't believe how many people have something ti critique about us when they are eating a SAD lifestyle. Happy for your post girlfriend!!

Olive

ps: keep the parsley it's great for you. also read Charlotte's post on the using of other fruits and veggies to get a glorious array of nutrition benefits.

I was speaking of the ice.

a speaker I went to hear talked about that. I wanted to find out if others had heard of such a thing and get more feedback. This person discouraged freezing fruit too.

I think you know who I am referring to from our discussion before.... I will read Charlotte's post