add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Simply Laidback Adventurers, Campers and Kayakers (SLACKERS) Message Board › Ft de Soto camping---something to consider

Ft de Soto camping---something to consider

Elizabeth P
user 9798777
Seminole, FL
Post #: 13
Perhaps we can pick some dates 7 months in advance and those of us who live in Pinellas County can reserve sites (one month before the general public.) February would be good since we still get those cold fronts in January. This way, those members who don't have the gear for kayak camping would be able to enjoy this park's beaches, bike trails and waterways.
Julie A.
user 8252034
Orlando, FL
Post #: 49
That sounds good.
Lisa R.
user 14580791
Plant City, FL
Post #: 21
Getting a permit for Shell Key is as simple as going online and filling out a quick form and printing it out. Seriously only a 5 minute process. I was there just over a week ago.
If we need a bathroom, I have recently purchased a "shower stall/tent" from wallmart and purchased one of the small potty's that have bags with ziploc's on them. I would definitely sign up for this outing since Shell Key is my all time favorite camping spot, hence, there would be a bathroom.
Just putting options out there........
A former member
Post #: 2
I concur that Shell Key permitting is a snap. 1 permit covers the group. It is easy to paddle out from the shore before the toll bridge and my car has always been safe there. That also keeps us out of the motorboat traffic of Bunces Pass. For toilets, each person could also bring his own sealed container, coffee can, kitty litter, the gels
Sheri A.
user 7494068
Lakeland, FL
Post #: 24
So when are you all thinking of doing shell key. Only did this once - got the sunburn of my life here.
And a tropical storm system - think it was a hurricane cat 1 moved in the next morning - paddling out of there before it hit was like an episode of that Alaska lobster show. roughest catch? greatest catch? anyway - really exhilarating.

would like to do this with some people more interested in exploring than sitting in lawn chairs imbibing - although if you wish to imbibe, be my guest - think i need to drink some coffee and wake up here .........ramble ramble
A former member
Post #: 3
November is gorgeous and usually past the storms. If a front is coming through, Jan & Feb can be very cold on Mullet Key facing the NW.
Elizabeth P
user 9798777
Seminole, FL
Post #: 15
Sheri, I agree about the lawnchair/imbibing thing. That's why I recommended camping at the campgrounds. It's easier to go exploring from there...perhaps even taking the ferry to Egmont Key (I've kayaked over there and it can get pretty hairy on the way back.) Ft de Soto beach was voted the #1 beach in the country a few years ago and there is an uninterrupted recreational trail that you can bike, rollerblade or walk that will lead to some very secluded beaches. The fort is pretty cool, too! So maybe two separate trips at different times...Ft de Soto once and then Shell Key another time. Something for everyone. I only brought up the campground option because I'll be leaving soon and the 7-month reservation window is closing soon, and to get an idea of how many Pinellas County residents we have in the group.
A former member
Post #: 1
Love camping on Shell Key! Best to do it in cooler weather..November would be a good time.
A former member
Post #: 9
I'm a Pinellas resident living in St. Petersburg and could help out tomake reservations.
Marilyn G
Tampa, FL
Post #: 6
I would love to camp at Ft Desoto whenever it gets on the calendar. November sounds ideal! There's a lot to do at that park and some great restaurants around Passe Grill.