Wat Monkolrataranaram (Thai Temple, Tampa) holds the Sunday Market every Sunday between approximately 10:30 am and 2:00 pm at the Temple. The market includes a wide variety of Thai food (seasoned to your taste)
Contrary to rumor all Thai food is not super spicy. Most of the food can be seasoned to taste from mild to red hot. The food is authentic Thai prepared by Temple volunteers. The menu includes:
- Grilled pork or chicken on a stick
- "Pad Thai" - vegetable and noodles
- Various chicken curry dishes with vegetables
- Spring rolls (an big favorite of our visitors)
- "Guiteow" - Beef or pork noodle soup
- "Som Dom" - Thai Papaya salad. This can be seasoned as spicy or bland as you like.
- Fried bananas, taro root, and sweet potatoes
- A wide variety of Thai deserts
- Thai tea and coffee
- Cold soda and water
There is a temple at this site which you can visit. However, it is important you respect cultural customs, especially when you have been made aware of them.
- Before entering the temple please remove your shoes and neatly place them at the bottom of the steps leading into the temple.
- Do not point your feet at the Buddha images or Monks. This is a sign of disrespect.
- Do not touch, pose with or frolic about in front of Buddha images. Treat them with reverence and respect.
- Please wear appropriate clothing. Clothing that should not be worn include shorts, low cut dresses or short skirts. Shirts are required.
- Do not walk on the mats where the Monks sit.
- Be courteous and considerate at all times.
- Sit silently during mediation.
- Make sure your cell phone is off during the services.
While you may see other individuals not observing the above etiquette, I request you respect the temple, monks and myself by following them.
MAKE SURE TO BRING CASH - I'm not sure they have an ATM available.
Note: It can get quite crowded here. I'll do my best to be noticeable but if you don't find the group, don't fret. We might be walking around the grounds or waiting in line for food. Relax and enjoy the atmosphere and the incredible food. I'll email my phone number and what I will be wearing to attendees on Saturday so you can call or text me if you can't find us. Also, please check the meetup site Saturday night/Sunday morning for possible cancellation due to weather.