Simply Laidback Adventurers, Campers and Kayakers (SLACKERS) Message Board › Fort King Waterway is now open for paddling the Silver River

Fort King Waterway is now open for paddling the Silver River

Dean & Tyra S.
user 8718740
Debary, FL
Post #: 10
Linda S
LindaSpears
Ocala, FL
Post #: 111
The State of Florida now owns Silver River attraction

Park Hours: 8 am until sunset.

NOTE: if USING Kayak Outfitter, i.e. renting kayak from outfitter (not Sam), they have own hours.

FEES:
There is now an easy launch at the Spring Head of what used to be Silver Springs Attraction.
The fees are: $5 single or $8 car load to enter the park in addition to $4 per kayak to launch.
Enter off State Route 40 exit, tell the guard you plan to launch.

If you have a State Park pass, you only pay $4 launch fee.

So your Kayak options are:

Round trip from Head spring. $4 fee, $5 or $8 to enter.

Round trip from Ray Wayside, $5 fee

Round trip from Silver River State Park (long walk to put in). No launch fee . Pay to enter park.

OR...run a shuttle from Head Spring to Ray Wayside.

NOTE: Ray Wayside has a fee of $5 per vehicle. There is no launch fee. Sometimes the gate is manned, otherwise there is an honor box (exact change required).

I have not been to the new launch. I stopped in at the Silver River State Park to get the particulars.
If you don't have the time to do the whole run, you have a shorter kayak and want to go downstream, or you just want to go with the flow, this gives you some options. You do have to be back at DUSK to pick up vehicle. Ranger said ~January 1, 2014, Dusk is 6 p,m. for reference.

Thanks Dean and Tyra for posting the links.

I live down the street from Silver River State Park. If anyone is going to be in the area, and needs a kayak buddy, I may be available 7 days a week.