add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Simply Laidback Adventurers, Campers and Kayakers (SLACKERS) Message Board › Ended: ACA Level One Training. April 25-27, 2014, at Lake Louisa State Park

Ended: ACA Level One Training. April 25-27, 2014, at Lake Louisa State Park

Linda S
Ocala, FL
Post #: 112
I got this notice and thought I would pass it along to Slackers.

Florida's Division of Recreation & Parks (DRP) is seeking volunteers with a passion for our state's outstanding waterways to help create the paddlers of the future. DRP will offer one weekend-long training session April 25-27, 2014, at Lake Louisa State Park for 15 select volunteers with some paddling experience to earn certification as Level I ACA (American Canoe Association) Kayak Instructors. The ACA training will be provided by staff from Sweetwater Kayaks in St Petersburg. Volunteers will pay for training at half the usual cost and those who become certified agree to lead three half-day paddling skill building programs for the public that may also include litter cleanups or other water-based tours or events. The short training sessions (lasting 2-3 hours), intend to connect families with nature, increase fitness, share conservation messages and increase paddling safety.

Tuition of $185 includes 16 hours of training + materials, one year mandatory membership in ACA and SEIC (Safety Education & Instruction Council), and two nights in shared park cabins. Volunteer applicants must undergo a basic background check (provided by our agency at no charge). Instructor certification is not guaranteed as participants must pass skill tests but attending the training opportunity will increase your paddling skills.

The deadline for application is March 28th .
You will need a PDF application.
Suggest you email LIZ to get it..
Please return the pdf application form to Liz Sparks

Deadline is March 28th.­

I've taken the class twice. Had a great time, every time.

There will be one instructor for every 5 participants. So there will be at least three instructors.

The Guys from Sweetwater are the best folks I've ever kayaked with.
They are awesome people...and a ton of fun.
If you are selected you will learn from the best.

This weekend is the weekend we are schedule to go to Dry Tortugas, FYI.
The Trip with Sam.

Here are the skills you will be measured on.­