Free Paddling classes, demos, things to buy and general fun not too far from here. Don’t Miss the 2013 Illinois Paddlesports Festival!
Online registration starts April 1, 2013. I plan to go if others want to come.
The 5th Annual Illinois Paddlesports Festival will take place ON THE 2nd WEEKEND IN JUNE, June 8 & 9, 2013 in Aurora’s beautiful Phillips Park on Mastodon Lake. Free Admission! We pack a lot of paddling fun and action into two full days! Take a canoe or kayak lesson, try out new paddle craft and check out the skills competitions! Stay overnight with free camping (IPF participants only) or a discount deal at Aurora’s Comfort Suites, and enjoy the after-the Festival gathering on Saturday evening at the Paddlers Rendezvous. Enjoy live music, great food and beverages, our companion “Art in the Park” Festival and more! This fun-filled weekend of paddling activities is designed to attract novices and experienced paddlers alike.
The Two-day Illinois Paddlesports Festival Will Feature:
- Free Festival Admission
- 2-hour Canoe and Kayak Lessons
- All the major local paddlesports retailers exhibiting in one place offering Festival discount deals!
- Free Demos – see and try a wide variety of paddle craft
- Demonstrations of Advanced Paddling Skills & Expertise
- Canoe and kayak discounted Festival short term rentals
- Fox River Paddle Trip Event
- Free On-site Overnight Camping
- Paddler’s Rendezvous on Saturday night
- Advanced Skills Lessons for the seasoned paddler
- Skills Competitions for all paddlers
- Art in the Park Festival
- Includes: Art Exhibit & Sale, Wine Tasting event, Music and More!
- River and conservation organization’s exhibits
- Food & Beverage Vendors
You’ll see the best and newest in outdoor sports equipment offered by our exhibitors and major paddlesports equipment manufacturers. Check out displays, and exhibits by various paddling clubs, river and nature conservation organizations.
The Illinois Paddlesports Festival is sponsored by the Illinois Paddling Council and the City of Aurora.
Here is a link to their main website and schedule
Free Paddling Classes
Would you like to learn how to paddle, or learn some new paddling skills? At the Illinois Paddlesports Festival experienced and friendly American Canoe Association certified instructors will teach FREE introductory and advanced classes in canoeing, sea kayaking and whitewater kayaking. This is a great opportunity to introduce family members to paddlesports.
Pre-registration is required. All participants must sign a waiver. Children must be 10 years old and any children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult. Limit of one free classes per person. Additional classes are $20 per class subject to availability.
- Intro to Tandem Canoe – Safety, basic strokes, maneuvers
- Intro to Solo Canoe – Safety, basic strokes, maneuvers
- Improve Tandem Canoe – Improve stroke dynamics and maneuvers
- Improve Solo Canoe – Improve stroke dynamics and maneuvers
- Intro to Freestyle Canoeing – Concepts of Freestyle/basic strokes and maneuvers
- Basic Canoe Rescue – Flatwater rescues, boat over boat, self rescues, etc. *
- Intro to whitewater canoeing – Whitewater equipment, boats, clothing, helmets, strokes, maneuvers
- Intro to Coastal Kayaking Rescue – Self and assisted rescues *
- Intro to Whitewater Kayaking – Whitewater equipment, boats, clothing, helmets, strokes, maneuvers
- Intro to Kayak Rolling – Components of the kayak roll *
* indicates classes guaranteed to get you wet.