Central London Humanists Message Board Campaigns & Activism › Uganda's "Kill the Gays" bill - please sign petition to stop this

Uganda's "Kill the Gays" bill - please sign petition to stop this vile Christian "Christmas gift" - URGENT

Alex D
London, GB
Post #: 223
A petition's been doing the rounds on this issue for several months, started by AllOut then picked up by Avaaz, aimed at putting pressure on the Ugandan President. But as this may not be enough a new one's been started on Change.org trying a different angle - please give it a moment of your time:

Uganda's speaker of parliament has promised to pass a "Kill the Gays" bill in the next two weeks. Barclays and Citibank support LGBT rights in the UK and wield significant influence in Uganda. Tell them to speak out against this bill.

Sign My Petition

In a matter of days - possibly even hours - Uganda's parliament is set to pass the so-called "Kill the Gays" bill, which could enshrine in law the death penalty for LGBT people. Their Speaker described the bill as a "Christmas gift" for the Ugandan people. 

Activists in Uganda say that one way to stop this is by putting pressure on powerful international banks in the country to condemn the bill. 

Barclays and Citibank both have millions of pounds invested in Uganda and wield a huge influence on the government. A public statement from Barclays speaking out against the "Kill the Gays" bill might be the best chance to stop it and save gay people from being executed.

That's why I've started a petition on Change.org asking Barclays and Citibank to speak out against the "Kill the Gays" bill. Click here to sign my petition now.

Both banks have supported human rights for LGBT people in the Europe and the US. Barclays is one of the UK's top employers for LGBT people and prides itself on its work championing gay equality in Britain, which is why I've been a customer of theirs for years. 
But they cannot help us in the UK while helping to prop up a regime that kills LGBT people in Uganda.

If these banks speak out against the bill the Ugandan government will see the huge risk posed to business and their economy if they forge ahead with it.

Click here to sign my petition asking Barclays and Citibank to issue strong statements condemning Uganda’s "Kill the Gays" bill. The bill could come up for a vote any day, so swift action is essential.

Thank you,

P.S. There is not much time to stop this bill. Please help this campaign by forwarding this email to your friends. 

For anyone who doesn't already know, this proposed law is christianity-inspired, and its passage thus far is largely thanks to financial, practical and 'moral' support from evangelicals in the good 'ol US of A, who visit frequently to help push things along. Christianity: religion of love, peace, tolerance & forgiveness. Oh, sorry - that should read: hypocrisy, hypocrisy, hypocrisy and hypocrisy.

If it passes it is feared this will set a precedent for africa: similar laws are in the works in three other countries there already.
Alex D
London, GB
Post #: 228
Here's the link to the original petition aimed at President Museveni rather than the banks, which is apparently still live.

And here's the latest news.
Summary: the bill is still progressing, and apparently rumours are circulating that the death penalty clause has been removed - but this isn't true.