addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Central London Humanists Message Board Campaigns & Activism › Getting involved in the community

Getting involved in the community

A former member
Post #: 1
Hello All

I would like to find out how many group members would be interested in taking part in occasional volunteer projects in the community?

For example there is a project on Saturday 31st January in Hampstead (run by Community Services Volunteers):

A completely new project to turn an overgrown green space into a pleasant, community-accessible nature area. Work will include weeding out shrubs, removing self-sown tree saplings, path installation as well as bird, bat and owl box erection.

It would be a fun day out, and will make you feel good about yourself too!

These CSV-run projects are very regular but will only accept small groups (up to ~5 people) so I am happy to research other options as well, if there is enough interest.

Phuong.
David M.
user 5961627
London, GB
Post #: 3
Hi Phuong,

I like the idea. A few thoughts come to mind though. One is timing, as for me week-ends will often be awkward (I work 2 in 4) and the same obviously applies to week days. So evenings are preferable though lots of things don't work very well in winter. The other is geographical in that I suspect many people in the CLHG will be shy of doing things outside of central London - at least many people may have split loyalties re Central London and where they live, which makes a venue like Hampstead a bit awkward, though it's okay by me. Lastly, it would be good to combine volunteer projects with a specifically (relaxed) social element (pub, meal) to further our own community spirit.

Regards, Dave
A former member
Post #: 17
pardon to you both, David and Phuong. This is a test post :(